Antenae for TV

Old 02-01-2017, 03:33 PM
Power Poster

We have lots of hills and ravines around here, outside antenna use to be all we needed. After direct tv and cable came around we have to subscribe to either one or dish.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:00 PM

I bought a 50 mile antenna from Walmart. We can get about 20 channels, but not my favorite news network. It totally depends on how far you are from the signal source and the terrain in your area.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:03 PM
Power Poster

Oh my little phone was self correcting my spelling in my texts. it went crazy and made no sense. i turned that option off!!
Old 02-02-2017, 03:37 AM

We. too, are experimenting with cutting the cable. Our amplified digital antenna from Best Buy (probably $30 thereabouts) brings in about 25 local channels. We live in the city and not out in the country - so reception is fairly good, we "hung" the antenna on our sliding glass patio door right next to the tv, AND we bought the Amazon Fire Stick (love it). If it were not for my MOM being addicted to Fox News Channel (for her tv in her room), we definitely would eliminate cable tv, especially now that I see that Sling TV is offering the Hallmark channels and Lifetime!
Old 02-02-2017, 04:28 AM

Check out Mohu Leaf Antennas. I have been using their version that mounts on the wall for 4-5 years. (I cannot remember exactly when I cut the cord.) I had to play around with the positioning on my wall for a few days before I found the best place. They also have a version that mounts in the attic or on your roof. I am extremely satisfied with the antennas and with the response from the company when I had a problem with one of my antennas. You do have to be aware that when you use these types of antennas, they will be affected by weather conditions in the area.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:30 AM

We have the antenna thing for our tv's. They cost about $25 and well worth it. We get plenty of channels and did away with cable/satelite thing about 3 yrs ago. We have Roku & netflix and got more than we need. Don't miss the dish at all.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:26 AM

Thanks to you all for you advice about the antenna. The one I'm thinking of is the one that just screws into the back of the TV. I hate to buy it and have it unable to bring in any channels. I have Direct but not in the bedroom on the TV I'm talking about so I get just a black screen. I wonder if I bought the antenna that screws in I would still have to have the cable box or would the antenna bring in some channels?
Old 02-02-2017, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
Please forgive my horrible spelling that's developed after my concussion from falling down a flight of stairs and landing on my head and shoulder. I've been thinking of buying one of those gizmo's that attach to the back of your TV and is advertised as able to bring in HDTV programming without other costs. Does anyone know if they would work on a TV that doesn't have a cable attached to it?

A few years ago we stopped Direct TV to our den TV since we weren't watching it in there. Since my accident I'd like to start it again but can't justify the additional cost of the card that runs the programming on that TV. I see that other gizmo advertised on TV as bringing in a good picture but I don't want to waste the money if it won't work.
I suggest you do a google search for reviews on the item you are considering to buy.
I just cancelled Dish and now only have a ROKU and Netflix plus a roof top antenna for all the locals. Am thinking the item you ask about is for channels you would get from a real antenna. That would be your 'local' channels and nothing more and now most channels are in HD anyway.
Hope you find the proper answer to serve you well.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:44 AM

the stick that you put in the back of the tv does not work at all tried on two of my tv' my daughters and a friend who lives a few mile away it went in the trash.I also had the flat one that you can stick in the window real bad reception. I have a converter box and bought an antenna thats good for 60 miles I get the regular 2 5 7 9 plus a bunch of others with mostly the old shows and movies which is great cause i have them in the bedrooms. my daughteer has the apartment up stairs and pays for the cable and ther is nothing on day or night a real waste of money.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:47 AM

the one advertised is a cheapo only fit if you live in a city or near a broadcasting hub otherwise it is worthless

I have used a cheap $30 rotating antenna for the roof I bought online and have used t for 10yrs and saved over $10,000 in cable bills in the 10 year time

it picks up over 70 different channels, nostalgia , movie , broadcast , etc even has a guide all FREE