Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Trolley - Questions for those who have a Tutto >

Machine Trolley - Questions for those who have a Tutto

Machine Trolley - Questions for those who have a Tutto

Old 02-05-2017, 07:25 AM

Default Machine Trolley - Questions for those who have a Tutto

Hi All,

I'm looking for a machine trolley to take my Bernina 350 to class. I've narrowed it down to Tutto or Blue Fig. I'm leaning toward the Tutto, but have a couple of questions for those of you who have one....

1) How do you keep it from rolling around it trunk of the car? Seems it would roll from one side to the other, and also from front to back? I don't see anything in my trunk I can tie it to.

2) Since it doesn't have handles on the sides, is the handle on the top sufficient to lift it over stairs and into the back of the car? Or, can you lift it on the sides by the metal frame/braces?

I would appreciate any feedback from those who have this trolley...

Thank you!

Solomae
Old 02-05-2017, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

I have the Tutto. I lay it down on it's side in the trunk space. I haven't noticed it moved when I go to take it out. I don't have a problem lifting the tote by the top strap. I roll it up and down stairs if the machine is too heavy to hold. My Tutto is larger then most of my machines I travel with so it is padded with extra sewing stuff. I found it at a thrift store in the luggage section for a few dollars.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:44 AM

Onebyone, thank you for the reply. I hadn't thought of laying it in its side, that may work for me. It sounds like you got a really good deal on your Tutto!

Solomae
Old 02-05-2017, 05:26 PM

I use bungee cords. I own a CR-V and if I don't hook it down to various places, it will go flying around. I did try good old fashioned door stops on the wheels. Worked fairly well but the bungee cords work better. If you look in your trunk, there are probably places to hook the bungee.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:32 PM

(Me again). Also, Bernina has a very nice trolley bag that was just a little less expensive than the Tutto. I got,one for my 350 (Ricky Tims version) last May when I purchased the machine. There are lots of trolleyss out there from one price to another. I really,do,like my Tutto though because - it fits my Viking SELE machine plus it fits my old Pfaff 1473 I drag almost everywhere because it is not a computer. I was told not to,lay any computer type machine in its side. Oh, and the Tutto is pulled on all 4 wheels instead of tilted back. It fits through my garage because it pulls from the short side.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:59 PM
Power Poster

That makes no sense, a motherboard does not have any moving parts, a laptop or ipad couldn't be put on its side or turned over.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:28 PM

I've had 2 computerized machine. They both got laid down to put in trunk for travel and I never had a problem with either and I used to attend a lot of classes.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:53 PM

I can fit Tutto (22" Large) on the floor in the back seat, (passenger side of my Honda Civic). Since the floor is uneven, it really doesn't roll around. But I place a tote back up against it on one side and that pretty much blocks it in. I have also placed in on the back seat on a piece of styrofoam, strapped in by the seat belt.

As far as lifting, I do not recommend you lift by the side brackets. I cracked a set and had to ship my trolley back to Tutto for repair. There are places on the metal frame you can grab if necessary. But as far as lifting, I use the top handle. The circumstance that lead to the brackets cracking was that the tote was briefly exposed to sub-zero temperatures when it was brought into the house from the car. DH carried it by the brackets not realizing the risk.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:39 PM

When I use my Tutto (which is the large one) I just put it in the back seat with a seatbelt strapping it in. When my machine is in the car, I am not going to leave it alone. I have a smaller machine that I travel with and it has a trolley I bought at Joann's. It gets put in the trunk and in the bed of the pickup. Then it is trapped between suitcases or other items so it won't move around.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:15 PM

I have a Tutto and I love it. I really like that it rolls from the short side so it is easier to fit in small places. It is also nice because it rolls on four wheels, not two. I have a van and it doesn't roll around in the back at all. I also like that if the wheels get damaged you can buy new ones and replace them. I like things that can be fixed! I tend to lift it by the metal frame on the short sides. I haven't had any problems yet. However I only use it for my 'travel' machine that is a Janome and weighs about 13 lbs.