Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New seam ripper!! >

New seam ripper!!

New seam ripper!!

Old 02-09-2017, 09:19 AM

This is so beautiful already!
Old 02-09-2017, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

Love your work dina. I do replace my seam ripper ever so often. I have a few around here and there too. It makes it easy to grab them as you need them. This last christmas my secret santa sent me one that stands in a holder to cut the block chains quickly. It is pretty neat. The gal got it at the Huston Texas quilt show. I did almost stab myself in the face until I got used to it sitting on my desk. Those sewing rooms can be dangerous! LOL...

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 02-09-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:45 AM

Your bargello is gorgeous, I have not made one yet, but plan to someday...I too just got a new ripper, the tip of mine just broke off, guess I was ripping to hard.. I got another Fons/Porter....
Old 02-09-2017, 03:49 PM

I got one with a light, that even makes it easier, oh and it has a magnifying glass. It is great!!
Old 02-09-2017, 04:07 PM

I own lots of seam rippers, but must tell you this event from yesterday......I stitched on a quilt binding and then realized it was on the fabric too much, so started picking out the seam, turned the quilt over to the back side to pull off the bobbin thread, I had wound my bobbin with 100% polyester Glide thread because it is so strong, and then to my surprise when I pulled on the bobbin thread, it popped off very easily and no more stitch picking for me on this quilt - just have to be certain to make a good secure knot on the end.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by chichimamma View Post
I got one with a light, that even makes it easier, oh and it has a magnifying glass. It is great!!
Hmmm, I think I have one of those somewhere. I just barely remember using it. Got to go search for it. That could be really handy, and I don't think I have given it a chance! Thanks for mentioning it and jogging my memory!

Dina
Old 02-09-2017, 04:26 PM

I love your pattern and the colors. Bargello is one of my favorites because there are so many variations. Years ago Olfa made a razor seam ripper that was only about 3/8" wide and when the razor became dull you just broke it off and another razor was pushed up in place. I now buy mine at Home Depot or Lowe's and my latest one was made by Kobalt. They're much cheaper than the Olfa version and seam ripping is a breeze.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
I've been sewing since I was a teenager in 4-H--more years than I care to admit! And it wasn't until just within the past year that I learned what that little 'wad' is for on the long end of a seam ripper. Leave the piece as is (not pressed open), insert the long end into the seam so the stitching is between the 2 sides of the ripper next to the cutting edge and away you go. That little 'wad' is for keeping the ripper right there in the stitching line and you can unsew in a lot shorter time. So far I've had no problem with it nipping the fabric but I'm careful, too. Sorry this isn't a better explanation of how to do it but that little piece of plastic on the one side of the ripper is there with a purpose in mind! (This idea has been around for a long time apparently, just like the tabs in the end of the aluminum foil box--didn't know it was there for a reason!)
If you hold it so the little ball end is on the inside of the seam and the sharp point is on the outside and pointed little out (and the seam is not pressed) the ball will keep you from snagging the fabric and ripping it. Work on a flat surface and hold the end closest to you and you can "unsew" a seam very quickly. There are some fabrics that are don't play well--looser weaves can be a problem.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:13 AM

Your quilt is beautiful! Never thought of replacing a seam ripper either, but from the input on the Board, I am thinking of trying a Clover. Maybe I can get it at Joann's with a coupon next time
Old 02-10-2017, 06:26 AM

I really love your quilt. Your colors are so pleasing! I'm a pretty big fan of bargello and purples and teals. Thanks for sharing.