Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bali Double Wedding Ring Quilt >

Bali Double Wedding Ring Quilt

Bali Double Wedding Ring Quilt

Old 02-21-2017, 04:29 AM

Default Bali Double Wedding Ring Quilt

I am very keen to make this quilt. I already have the templates for making an ordinary Double Wedding Ring quilt, but wondered if I could use them to make the Bali version.

I am not sure if this pattern is paper pieced from beginning to end or whether I could use my templates and then add the star shapes using the applique method.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:49 AM

Do you have a photo?
Old 02-21-2017, 06:03 AM

I haven't made the Bali Double Wedding Ring, but a friend did, and I believe it was all paper pieced. You probably could achieve a similar look by appliquing the star shapes, but it sounds like a lot of extra work to me (but then, I don't do a lot of applique). The best way to find out would be to create a couple of rings using your templates and then adding the star shapes. If you like the way it turns out, great!
Old 02-21-2017, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

Looking at photos of the Bali version, the 4 patch unit that joins the rings is very pointed at the corners. Most traditional DWR patterns have a 4 patch with 90 degree corners. Also, based on the templates that I have, the melon section is very narrow. Not sure if there's enough room for the star point to be appliqued there and have enough of the background fabric showing to emphasize this piece. Having said this, I think it's an intriguing idea and I would suggest you make a sample block or two. I'm guessing that you will not be able to combine the 2 patterns, you would have to draft your own star points to fit in your melon template. If you do decide to proceed, please post a photo!
Old 02-21-2017, 06:32 AM

Is this the quilt you want to make? http://www.quiltworx.com/patterns/ba...ing-star-2014/ If so, it is all paper piecing. I did it for my first Judy Neimeyer quilt and wouldn't recommend it as the first one, especially if you haven't already had some experience PP. Having said that, if you are good at reading directions, it can be done. The directions must be followed as they are written. I had the blessing of a wonderful friend who had just completed a bedrunner that helped me understand what Judy was telling us. The centers of each star is the four patch with just the stars added. The melons are split so that you sew the star in between the two pieces of melon. After having made the Bali Wedding Star quilt, I think I could figure out how to piece the melon so that I could insert the star (which is made of two colors), but you would have to make a template or paper piece them. The thing that will create problems is all the curves that must fit really well together.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 02-21-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

barb has some great advice. i just wanted to share this link as it has many closeups to view the details http://myquilter.blogspot.com/2010/0...tar-quilt.html
Old 02-21-2017, 08:47 AM

The creative grids template is a little different from the standard double wedding ring template
Old 02-21-2017, 09:04 AM

It is paper pieced and Quiltworx has created a template for it. I am still working on mine.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:38 AM

I bought the whole kit, fabric clips, bags, glue sticks etc and it sits in a box I think it is too hard for me
Old 02-21-2017, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by carslo View Post
I bought the whole kit, fabric clips, bags, glue sticks etc and it sits in a box I think it is too hard for me
On the Quiltworx website, that I posted earlier, there are several videos that will help you. Probably more on Youtube. Read the instructions 2 or 3 times and it may begin to make sense. If all else fails, find a guild or a local sewing shop and see if there is anyone there who would take the time to help you get started.