Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your favorite >

What is your favorite

What is your favorite

Old 02-20-2017, 01:19 AM

pm me and I will give you some information about some old army forts and museums in this area and other sites to visit. My post did not go through for some reason.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:08 PM

Do you have a general route planned out? There are a couple of Mennonite stores in the Finger Lakes that I enjoy very much. Great prices, but they are not decorated in any way - my favorite is a metal pole barn type of building. Lighting isn't great - you'll need to carry fabric to the window or door if you are looking for specific shade! Unfortunately, my favorite shop, in Watkins Glen, has closed.

Sew Pieceful in Campbell Savona isn't huge but has an excellent selection; it's really good for shabby chic or floral.

Love Round Bobbin in Ambler, PA - not far from Philadelphia/King of Prussia/Valley Forge.

Near Tampa FL, I recommend Happy Apple or Rainbow's End.

Some day, I'm going to get to the central/midwest part of the USA!
Old 02-20-2017, 04:20 PM

I have to give a shout out to Mill House Quilts in Waunuakee WI, great shop just stuffed to the gills with fabric! I also love Lone Star Quiltworks in Bryan TX and Ruby Street Quiltworks in Tumwater WA. Have several shops I like in a bunch of states but those are my three favorite. My favorite "home" shops are Honey Bee Quilts, A Quilter's Folly, and Sew Crazy Austin
Old 02-21-2017, 10:31 AM

Well, Fabric Shack in Waynesville Ohio is fun and not too very awful far from the Air Force Museum near Dayton. Everybody's happy!
Old 02-22-2017, 11:23 AM

This is SO fantastic! I'm creating a huge State by State list of quilt shops and historical sites to visit. I thank you all for your ideas and suggestions. Keep them coming.

Patti aka Kookie
Old 02-22-2017, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by running1 View Post
Me, again...you'll want to swing through Springfield, MO area including Branson...two great shops in Branson and two or three in Springfield and surrounding area! When traveling through Indiana, look for the barn quilts, too!! Happy trails!!
Oh, I LOVE barn quilts! That's another type of travel I love to do. My husband has mentioned seeing Branson during our travels. I should have asked people if their area has barn quilts! Never thought of that. Perhaps another thread Thank you!!!
Old 02-22-2017, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Cheshirecatquilter View Post
I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions for fabulous shops that are the fodder for magazine articles, but here are two cozy shops that will make you feel right at home: Karen's Quilting Corner in Williamstown, MA and A Notion to Quilt in Shelburne, MA. Both are on MA Route 2, which will make for an interesting and scenic drive, as it is The Mohawk Trail and would be especially lovely in the fall (winter, spring, and summer!). Just be sure your brakes are in good working order as it is in the mountains and follows meandering rivers in some places, very pretty. Just 10 minutes off the highway you'll find Susan B Anthony's birthplace and the Quaker Meeting House in Adams, MA, and in the warmer seasons the Bridge of Flowers over the Deerfield River in Shelburne and the Shelburne Falls Glacial Potholes can take your breath away. In Cheshire you can find the Stafford Hill monument (Joab Stafford/Battle of Bennington) and a monument to the humongous cheese that was sent to President Jefferson, then you can motor via Lanesboro up to the top of Mt. Greylock and climb the Veterans War Memorial Tower (lighthouse on a mountaintop) that has recently been repaired and see a 5 state view. On the way down take the alternate route to get back on Rte 2 and continue on your way or stop and visit Mass MoCA, not exactly historic, but interesting, and at the upper end of Main St. is a statue of a Civil War soldier. Even the statue has a history, as the poor guy has taken quite a beating over the years. Enjoy your motoring. Safe travels.
Thank you Cheshirecatquilter! We have visited that area in the past, well many years ago now. Now we have a new list of things to see and visit! It's not too far from us and we do love the area. Thank you again!
Old 02-22-2017, 11:55 AM

Best one I found is in Hilo, Hawaii! Size of a college gymnasium! But your RV would have to float a long way!! Skagway, Alaska has a perfect little quilt shop just off the main street.

Back in the contiguous 48 try Iowa Quilt Museum and adjacent store in Winterset. I have not been there, hope to someday, and friends say it is worth the trip.

Pick up "Country Register" free little newspapers all around that list stores in small towns.

Last edited by LenaBeena; 02-22-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:54 PM

That sounds so great! We have a great shop here in Jacksonville, Florida - Cinnamon's. The people are great, and they have a variety of fabric. If you're here in January, your husband may want to see the reenactment of the Battle of Olustee down the road. St Augustine is very close by, and the fort is open year round.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:18 PM

I live in Las Vegas NV. My favorite is The Christmas Goose Quilt Shop. Was just there this past weekend. Love it !