Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making blocks match >

Making blocks match

Making blocks match

Old 02-22-2017, 07:32 PM

I would place them left and bottom. Then lay them out how you want them. Add 1.5" strips to the right side of the last block in a row. Add 1.5" strips to the top of the first row of blocks. That is how it was done for my picture. (Done EQ7) You will end up with sashing between all the blocks and a narrow border all around. It's hard to see the top and right side borders in the picture because they are almost white. As an alternate, you could add the right side and top in one long strip after the rest is together. Personally, I like to add the shorter strips - less stretch. Ann
Old 02-22-2017, 07:44 PM

I'd do a wonky sashing on both sets of blocks making them the same finished size, once assembled, you'll never notice the difference. Here's an example of what I'm thinking. http://whynotsew.blogspot.com/2011/1...ial-wonky.html

[ATTACH=CONFIG]568829[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sherbet+Pips+front+091411.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	568829  
Old 02-23-2017, 08:57 AM

Smile

Originally Posted by krafty14 View Post
I would place them left and bottom. Then lay them out how you want them. Add 1.5" strips to the right side of the last block in a row. Add 1.5" strips to the top of the first row of blocks. That is how it was done for my picture. (Done EQ7) You will end up with sashing between all the blocks and a narrow border all around. It's hard to see the top and right side borders in the picture because they are almost white. As an alternate, you could add the right side and top in one long strip after the rest is together. Personally, I like to add the shorter strips - less stretch. Ann
Good morning krafty14. I noticed the left hand side of your drawing is uneven. The right side is one straight line down. Wouldn't it be better to make the left side straight since we usually read from left to right and when I look at your drawing I look left to right. The right side would then be a little off. Would I place the sashing on the right side and bottom instead of the left side and bottom to make that happen? Any thoughts on that? You have been a tremendous help. Glad you did it on your software. I don't have that program.....just old-fashioned paper and pencil! haha!! Thanks again! Let me know what you think on this idea. Oh, i would then add 1 1/2" strip to the top and left side to make it appear straighter.
Oh, by the way, I was able to purchase the last yard and 1/8 of the same white fabric at Hobby Lobby yesterday. So really, now I have plenty to play with and add additional white to the blocks if I needed to do that. Also had to buy some beautiful springy looking yellow for a future fun time!

Last edited by Helen6869; 02-23-2017 at 09:01 AM. Reason: adding information
Old 02-23-2017, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Gelly View Post
I'd do a wonky sashing on both sets of blocks making them the same finished size, once assembled, you'll never notice the difference. Here's an example of what I'm thinking. http://whynotsew.blogspot.com/2011/1...ial-wonky.html

[ATTACH=CONFIG]568829[/ATTACH]
That is really cute. I like it but I don't think I could figure out the angles I would need for it. Also, I don't want to use a lot of white in the quilt background. The sashing is enough of the white along with what is in the blocks. Thanks for the idea! i should add that my blocks are not equal so adding the same amount to each block will not work. I would still have to trim them down to match but that's a possibility. That is a really good tutorial on making these.

Last edited by Helen6869; 02-23-2017 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Adding info
Old 02-23-2017, 09:56 AM

Here is my rendition of the uneven blocks. I hope. The red are the smaller blocks, the blue the larger blocks. You can notice the difference, but is it too obvious as the solution? Ann
Ann I want a little wider sashing strip than 1" finished. Could I cut them at 2" for larger block and 2 3/8" for the smaller blocks? Will this work the same as your picture shows? I can live with that design, just want a little wider sashing I think. You have been more than helpful. I really appreciate this. I live in a very small town and don't know of another quilter I can call upon for advice. This is my go-to place for that!!! Such great help!

Last edited by Helen6869; 02-23-2017 at 09:57 AM. Reason: add a word
Old 02-23-2017, 10:38 AM

I'd sash with a 2" or so strip on two sides, then trim the result down so they are all the same size. Then I'd cut a half block of a coordinating solid and put it so that the blocks are offset, so they won't be as evident that they aren't the same size as they don't line up anyway.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I'd sash with a 2" or so strip on two sides, then trim the result down so they are all the same size. Then I'd cut a half block of a coordinating solid and put it so that the blocks are offset, so they won't be as evident that they aren't the same size as they don't line up anyway.
That sounds like it would be good also. However, this quilt is already so busy I really don't want to add any more elements to it. I think krafty14's solution will be ok when completed. I can add or takeaway once the blocks are put together. Thank you so much for your input Macybaby. I do appreciate it.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Helen6869 View Post
Ann I want a little wider sashing strip than 1" finished. Could I cut them at 2" for larger block and 2 3/8" for the smaller blocks? Will this work the same as your picture shows? I can live with that design, just want a little wider sashing I think. You have been more than helpful. I really appreciate this. I live in a very small town and don't know of another quilter I can call upon for advice. This is my go-to place for that!!! Such great help!
I think that would work also. Just so long as one is 3/8" bigger than the other. Just put the 2" strips on the top and right side. Would love to see it done!! Ann
Old 02-24-2017, 08:38 AM

I think that would work also. Just so long as one is 3/8" bigger than the other. Just put the 2" strips on the top and right side. Would love to see it done!! Ann
I would love to see it done also!! lol!! I am so indecisive about what to do!! arghggggg!! I am concerned about working with that 1/8th ". I think I will cut that block down to 10", add 3" sashings to top and side, add 2 1/2" sashing to 10 1/2" blocks, and cut to be the same size. Won't that work out ok? I know you are tired of hearing about this....and I am tired of posting about it!! Hahahaha!! I do appreciate everyone's input. This has been so helpful. if I can figure this out maybe I can also figure out how to post a picture. haha! That's progress anyway.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:39 PM

I think I have a plan now. After making some sample blocks and looking at them, I think I need to trim the 1/8th " off of the panel block. Then add a 2 1/2" sashing to right side and bottom. Add a 2" sashing to the 10 1/2" block. They will both then be 12 1/2" blocks. I will lay some out and see how they look. Hopefully, the difference in sashing won't be too noticeable. This is the only way I can see to eliminate the 1/8" and 3/8" delimma. This has been crazy. Thanks to all who have offered advice. What is it they say, it takes a village....haha!! Still don't know if I can post a picture. I am pretty technologically challenged but I may try when I get some blocks together. Thanks, all!