Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Puckering machine quilting why does this keep happening? >

Puckering machine quilting why does this keep happening?

Puckering machine quilting why does this keep happening?

Old 02-23-2017, 07:05 PM
Power Poster

I forgot to mention that I use Warm & Natural batting and after I connect backing and batting with 505, I run the iron over the backing to really make it stick. Then I attach the top - smoothly patted down and give it a press as well. You will really see all the wrinkles and have a chance to smooth the layers before starting the quilting.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:32 AM

I learned (in a craftsy class) to press after spray basting and this seems to keep the layers together. You can still lift and reposition the layers if needed.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:48 AM

Sometimes increasing your stitch length can help.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:52 AM

Are you using a sheet for backing? 300 to 400 count cotton will slip. 100% quilters cotton
and pin basting really helps. . Does your machine have a setting for heavy fabrics? Are you using a 3 number stitch? Goodluck.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:52 AM

I spray baste with 505 and then iron from the back, starting at center out. Once smooth I flip over and iron the front, starting at center. This adhesive the top and back to the batting. Very little puckers if any. Works good for me.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:59 AM

Default Puckering Machine Quilting

Originally Posted by osewme View Post
Are you using a walking foot? Did you stretch your backing & top taunt when you sandwiched it all together? Do you use basting pins to hold it all together? Even when I use basting spray I still use some basting pins to keep it all together. When I have a quilt that is too large to sandwich together on my table top I have to do it on the floor. I will tape the backing to the floor (pulling it taunt) and then tape down all the sides with sealing tape. Then I layer my batting and then cover with the top (again stretching it taunt & taping the top to the floor. After that is done I will pin baste. If I'm doing all this on my sewing table I use industrial clamps to clamp the back & top to the table instead of having to use tape. Hope this helps. Please don't give up. Try a different method.
I agree with what you are saying about pinning and even if you use a spray, it may be necessary to add some pins just to make sure everything is being held in place. Please note that the proper word is "taut" meaning tight and not "taunt" which means to tease!
Old 02-24-2017, 07:08 AM

I use 505 as well--the only difference for me is that I securely tape the backing down to a hard surface--spray 1/2 of batting and smooth/press it down then repeat with other half--then lay top down on the 2 pieces and repeat with the spray doing 1/2 at a time. Really smoothing and pressing as I do it. Possibly not using enough of the spray??? I usually check for bonding before removing the tape. Plus I then take the quilt to the ironing board and press it on both sides-maybe that helps?????
Old 02-24-2017, 07:30 AM

Try raising the presser foot tension. Even with a walking foot the fabric will pucker if the presser foot is too tight on the fabric.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:54 AM

I had a similar problem with spray basting. Now I baste with the curved pins meant for basting. No more problems no matter what batting I use. If you decide to use this method, just be sure to start your pinning in the middle and work out.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by cannyquilter View Post
Thanks so much for the advice. I don't stretch the fabric at all when basting just smooth it over. There are no creases when it's done, it's definitely when I'm stitching. I think I will pin as well as spray basting and also look at how I support the quilt when I'm stitching, I like the idea of basting with water soluble thread, I'll have a look for some. I am wanting to have some form of suspension for the quilt. I don't think you can buy anything here in the UK and neither I nor my husband are particularly handy but I've bought some bungee ropes and clips and just need some hooks to go in the ceiling so I'll try that. Thanks for the links. I've unpicked the worst of the tucks and will stitch them tomorrow morning, I've been looking after my two young grandchildren today and then had to call on a friend this evening so don't want to attempt any sewing when I feel tired. Hopefully I will be more successful. Thanks again for the sharing of knowledge.
Cannyquilter: Check out my thread here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t276062.html for my do-it-yourself suspension system. All you need are the bungee straps, ratchet clamps and utility handles for the ceiling. Holes need to be drilled in one side of the handles, but the rest is installation. My DH did it, but I could have done it myself in a pinch. Since you have a DM, you will have to experiment with the best position for you, but my clamps are about 20" on either side of the machine and even with the front and back of the table. The only spot you could have drag is what sits in your lap, but that is easily controlled. Have you thought about repositioning your machine so the needle faces you like a longarm if you are only using the FMQ foot and not a walking foot? This set-up has helped tremendously in making FMQing a pleasure, rather than a chore, not to mention saving my shoulders, neck and back. Good luck.