Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Puckering machine quilting why does this keep happening? >

Puckering machine quilting why does this keep happening?

Puckering machine quilting why does this keep happening?

Old 02-24-2017, 09:53 AM

One other thing to check is that your walking foot isn't faulty...

When I first started quilting, SITD with a walking foot, I also had terrible frustration from puckers especially on the top layer. Eventually I chucked the walking foot into a drawer and learned to SITD using a hopping foot instead. Many months later I took a proper look at the walking foot, and realised that the 'toes' didn't line up properly - one was bent upwards just enough to interfere with the moving feed-dogs and prevent them from walking correctly. A little bit of elbow power straightened the toe again, and now the walking foot works properly, but I still SITD with the hopping foot instead

K
Old 02-24-2017, 11:37 AM

I know I am very old-fashioned, but I tape the backing to a sheet of plywood, pin the batt and top, and then baste. Never have a problem.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:00 PM

On thicker fabric ( lining, batting and top ) you have to use a longer stitch length. On the newer machines a length of 3 and on the older machines a 4. The reason is because the feed dogs have a much heavier amount of fabric to move and they need to take what us called a bigger bite to move the fabric. Practice doing this with a sandwich of lining, batting and muslin scrap and you will see the difference. Your quilting will be nice and smooth and see how much smoother the walking foot works with the longer stitch length. Good luck.

Last edited by Carol Jean; 02-24-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:09 PM

When quilting on many layers of fabric you must use a longer stitch length. On the newer domestic machines a 3 and the older machines set at 4. The feed dogs can not handle the smaller stitches and need to take what they call a bigger bite to handle the fabric. This will keep it from puckering. Try a sample with a sandwich of muslin, batting and muslin. You will notice a big difference. Make sure you have your walking foot on also it will work with the stitch length adjustment and you will see the difference. Smaller stitch length will cause this puckering of fabric. Good luck. Sorry about the second post, it did not post the first time.

Last edited by Carol Jean; 02-24-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:56 PM

Ok, I have to weigh in on this. I have always pin-basted, with great success, and used Quilter's Dream request or select, on a Viking designer. I have quilted 2 quilts on the Juki 2010, and both have been a nightmare. On this last one, I used the thinnest QD batt, pinned every 3 inches, and yes, the back was flat, etc, but the Jukester's walking foot pushed the top around and distorted it terribly. I had reduced the pressure on the foot, of course. I was then forced to carefully "unwonk" every 3" square as best I could. And it wasn't fun.

As you can imagine, the "just have fun with quilting" thread had me screaming.

I have now acquired the Janome walking foot to use on the next one but don't know if it's a solution or not. There is no adhesion between the top and the thin batt, except where the pins are. I think the Juki walking foot is just too much for the thin batt and the thinness of today's quilting cotton.

I quilted a small project on a 1/2" thick poly batt from JoAnn and didn,t even bother to extend the pins into the back. It came out perfectly. Not a tuck anywhere.

i am now looking at another quilt, already pinned every 3", and am torn between taking the pins out and using a thicker, more adherent batt and and trying the staflo-spraying method on the sandwich, followed by a quick press with a small iron to adhere the front to the batting. Someone on the board recommended it - Slightlyoffquilter? I am desperately hoping it will keep this top from floating above the batt.

so, sometimes it can be the machine. I love the Juki, but these last two things were truly awful.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 02-25-2017, 01:41 AM

I have one of those basting guns for quilts. And it is the best thing ever. I think I have honestly tried every basting technique out there I think. From tons of basting safety pins to quilting pins with the soft rubber things on the points. I've spray basted with all the products, and that is just too messy for me. I even tried hairspray, seriously, it was recommended, but did not work for me.
I got a basting gun at a yard sale actually and tried it. They are like tagging guns they use in retail, but with tiny short plastic things that go in the gun. I just did a large twin and all I did was press everything of course and lay it on my cutting table. It hung over on two sides. I smoothed it all out and started in the middle. It only took about half an hour to have the whole thing ready to quilt. I use a LOT of the plastic things so I try to have a system of where I put them so I can find them when I am done quilting. I baste every 3 or four inches or even less sometimes. But I swear that sucker is secure for quilting. I did the last one on my old Bernina which has very little room so lots of tugging and pushing the poor quilt through the harp of the machine. But no wrinkles or pleats at all. Just sore shoulders.
I did build myself an extension of sorts that fits over my sewing machine desk. I just used plywood that I covered with fabric so it was cute and then nice plastic so the fabric would slide around. Easy peasy. It makes the sewing surface about three by four feet I think. So that helps. And I always use quilting gloves. Makes such a difference.
I do think I might look into those suspension things. What an idea. Gonna have to do some research. Or get a long arm. That would work too.
Similar basting gun. https://www.amazon.com/Avery-Denniso...ds=Basting+gun

Last edited by Katia; 02-25-2017 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:47 AM

I usually use the fabric from IKEA duvet covers for backings. They are only 104 thread count so don't think they are the problem. I know a bad worker blames their tools but I do wonder if there is a problem with my walking foot. I keep the stitch length at 3.5. The good news, I managed to get some time yesterday and redid one of the sections. Using straight pins every 1/2 inch I managed to get an acceptable finish. I pricked my finger and didn't realise it was bleeding until I saw all the red spots over the white fabric so I'll be spitting all over it. This quilt has certainly had my blood, sweat and tears. I've my grandchildren for the weekend so even though I'm itching to get it sorted I think it will be Sunday evening before I get a chance. Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply and offer their advice. I really was ready to just give up and now I have solutions to work on.
Old 02-25-2017, 01:50 AM

Katie, I've seen those basting guns but never found anyone who used one so I think I'll definitely look into that. A friend made an extension piece to fit round my machine when I'm sewing, I covered it with plastic and it works well much cheaper than the commercial ones.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Have you considered adding a suspension system for the quilt? Suspension systems keep most of the quilt off the sewing surface so it doesn't add drag. It also helps your shoulders and arms, because you don't have to move the entire quilt around as you work. Here is a link to a commercially available system, but there are also DIY instructions online. Some quilters, such as Leah Day, suspend their quilts from the ceiling.
http://www.jennoop.com/suspenders.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJGph8am6BE
There is also the "Weightless Quilter", which suspends the quilt on three sides while the fourth side is under the machine. It is a rack of small PVC pipe which sits behind and to the side of your sewing table. Flexible arms of different weights hold the rest of the quilt up in the air.
This was at Nancy Ziemen's Madison Quilt Expo last fall.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:57 AM

After I spray baste I iron both front and back making sure there are no folds or wrinkles. Really helps.