Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Diary of a ~Mad Quilter~ >

Diary of a ~Mad Quilter~

Diary of a ~Mad Quilter~

Old 03-03-2017, 07:07 AM

Crispy_Frog, it sounds to me like a big part of the problem is that you're really tired after work, which is understandable. And the other big thing is probably the disorder in the sewing room, so I would start with that. I know this varies a lot for people, but I can't function in a disordered environment. Let your sewing dreams fuel the organization of your space; maybe make a list of clean-up tasks, and do your best to check one off every day. Once your space is ordered, make a list of UFOs and planned projects, and get rid of the ones you're no longer enthused about.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:32 AM

I too have been in a shopping mode and not sewing. I just started a 10 Min. block quilt. It has kind of taken me out of that funk. I clean in the am and quilt in the pm.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:35 AM

I have found myself in the same situation as you, I get inspired but by the time I get home I've lost my spunk to get going. My sewing room was getting so out of hand with my buying fabric on the spur of the moment that I hated to go down there but now I've added new shelving which gave me more room to put the fabric on and I was able to get my bolts off the floor so I could get around my cutting table. Plus knowing this project was going to happen made me want to finish my smaller projects that had been up on the design wall for way too long. This made me want to finish these projects and get ready for the new arranged sewing room. Still have a few more smaller projects to finish up but the design wall is now showing a new project I'm working on. Even got the dining room seats quilted while I was at it. They're not installed yet as I need to make some piping but at least its a start. Think I've got my "mojo" back again.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:55 AM

Wow we must be twins i am 63 also and i call it collecting stuff for my retirement had to build a storage shed just for my collection i know i cannt possibly use everything i have bought for my collection but sure is fun adding to my collection.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:59 AM

Have you considered the idea, even though you love quilting, you aren't a quilter but a buyer? And please don't take that wrong but different people love different parts of quilting. I personally hate the buying part, always drag the hubby to pick fabric.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:18 AM
mac

I have to echo those some of the sentiments of other quilters on this thread. Sometimes having too much is overwhelming and just makes you feel guilty for not doing something with it. Buying things is so much easier than doing things.

When I worked, I used to do applique on my breaks. It was amazing how much I could get done in fifteen minutes and even more on my lunch time. I enjoyed hand sewing because I couldn't exactly bring my sewing machine to work. LOL.

However, when I got home, I was so pooped I could barely get it together to make dinner. So figuring out what I wanted to do, sitting in my sewing room with all the piles of fabric, notions, patterns, magazines, and etc., was a bit overwhelming. I was too tired to think and on the weekend there were too many things to get done to even think about sewing.

As others have said get rid of the things that no longer make you happy. The things that you thought you really needed but now you think, "What was I thinking when I bought this?" Sometimes hanging on to things like that can be rather depressing and the guilt can really sap your energy, even without realizing it. Giving it away or selling it cheap can really be an uplifting feeling.

Eventually, I organized my sewing room, which did allow my mind to think a little more clearly and find easy projects that I wanted to start. Little by little I carved out some time here and there to finish something or at least get into and get interested in completing. For me, being an early riser, I used to sew for about 1/2 hour in the morning before I got ready for work. I took a nice cup of coffee and just started sewing.

The next thing that got me into the mood to sew, was to take some easy classes that showed easy techniques and wasn't very complicated at all. By taking classes it gave me a great push to want to see the end of the project and a finished quilt.

I also found that if the project was to complicated that I would hesitate in doing it because I didn't want to fail or fail to complete the project. It sounds silly, but I am a person that tires of a project quickly, especially if it isn't going well and I want it so perfect that sometimes I fail to start the project at all.

What I finally figured out about my style of projects (which also went with my personality style) is that I didn't like following instructions, instead I did a much better job when I did things scrappy and freeform. So, my suggestions is to figure out how you like to do projects. Are you an organized person or do you like to work in a controlled chaotic mess, which is my style. Do you like to have only the one project in front of you or do you get inspiration from seeing many things at a time. I love to have a lot of color around me and it always seems to get my creative juices going. Where some people like a very neat work area to work in, I cannot work in a neat area at all; my mind just goes blank and doesn't know what to do.

So, in short, find something easy to do, get some inspiration, work in your personality style and maybe find a sewing partner or take a class. This is what helped me. Good luck to you.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:22 AM

I didn't think of it that way! I haven't shopped to much....I've invested in my retirement! When I look at how much of the fabric I bought on clearances and close-outs, compared to fabric prices today....I have really made a good investment. That perspective feels much better!

It does feel good knowing I am not alone. I have a 14" x 14" wallhanging I want to finish this weekend. That will be my goal. Several of you mentioned having a deadline or a goal. My favorite quilt store used to have a quilt of the month. They gave you the monthly block kit for free. If you return it by the following month deadline, they gave you the next quilt block for free. That was a great motivator. The other quilt I was proud of that got me really going was the Quilt of Valor that the guild had us do with a deadline.

You are all getting me going! I'll keep checking in!

~Crispy~
Old 03-03-2017, 08:54 AM

For me it was too small of a quilting space with junk store, unsuitable storage. I found it frustrating and tiring that I couldn't move around the room without bumping into something and there wasn't a place for everything. Forget trying to quilt a quilt on my machine, there just wasn't enough room. It was like asking a ballet troupe to perform Swan Lake in a shipping crate. I explained to DH that I needed the master bedroom for a quilting room and he was okay with it. He built floor to ceiling shelving that went across one side of the room and bought me a tv and hung it on the wall. I purchased a table with drop down sides that is the same material as the shelving. We found two sewing cabinets at the thrift store for $20 each and he cut the tops so the sewing machines dropped down flush with the top. One of the cabinets has three large drawers and that was a plus. I spent a week organizing all my "stuff" and sent anything I didn't want or like to Goodwill. I was determined that everything had to have a place since I can't work when things are disorganized. This worked for me on several levels: I don't feel cramped and restricted anymore, the room looks nice, there is a large picture window so I can look out at the trees, there is a place for everything so it's never "junky". I feel like my art/craft/soul expression has been validated by a space that I can be proud of and it makes me want to quilt. DH make the remark after several months that he thought "stealing' the master bedroom was a great idea.
I will say the last two years I worked I was so mentally and physically exhausted I did very little quilting. I would sit and think about quilts, look at magazines and books and prepare for the day I got away from an abusive boss. The first year after I left work I still did a lot of sitting and "finding myself".
I also have eased off on keeping my home immaculate. I no longer spending hours cooking. I search for quick, tasty and easy meals and have loved the new recipes we've tried.
I hope you find your answer and you mojo!
Old 03-03-2017, 09:48 AM

I joined a boom on the quilting board swaps. I got 19 pieces of fabric and sent out 19 pieces. I need to make 19
12 1/2 inch squares in 3 months. I thought this would be difficult but it hasn't been. I'll finish them in a month and a half. It motivated me in several ways. I had a deadline. Each square is a manageable little project that I can get done is a few hours. This helped me to quilt a lot more. Maybe it would help you. 19 would be the maximum number.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:21 AM

Oh, how I relate to your problem. I work full time and everywhere I go I see quilt patterns in the floor tiles, the bathroom walls, the brick of the buildings. I then go home exhausted and have no energy to even clean off the sewing table. My solution is........................ I will be retiring in December. I am looking forward to being able to sew at the start of my day and not after all else is finished.

Put those UFOS in one place and set a goal, maybe one a month. Then be proud of finishing "something" and move on. Some folks get all distraught about a neat sewing area. Attack it in pieces if it is over whelming. You need a place to sit you machine? Clean that area. Another time you can get all of your clear templates in one place or all of your thread. I recall from one of those "get your life organized" web sites to take on a task for 15 minutes then stop. Do what can be done then give yourself the grace to relax and return to the BIG clean up again at another time for .... 15 minutes. It is always surprising how much can be done in just 15 concentrated minutes. (I still do this after maybe 6 or 7 years.)

Those gift cards, WOW what a treat. I would purchase wide backing in neutrals that I frequently use! Or a good storage system, or a clear extended arm for my machine or, or , or I could go on and on. Think beyond fabric. Sounds like you have plenty of that. Bottom line, Crispy_Frog, enjoy your bounty!