Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
what do I have? Davisesque handcrank. >

what do I have? Davisesque handcrank.

what do I have? Davisesque handcrank.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:01 AM

I've got both Boye display cases (upper and lower) that list badge names, and it's not hard to match them up based on the shuttle/needle they take. The lower case cover is a continuation of less common badged names, but the case itself holds hand needles. Only the top case holds the shuttles, bobbins and machine needles.

There are several names with a star by them, and from what I've seen, these are ones that were used on machines made by more than one manufacturer, as the name was "owned" by the reseller, not the manufacturer. Makes it rather confusing because the resellers often claimed they were the manufacturer.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Yes the screw will adjust the tire against or away from the hand wheel. This machine is stronger than it looks. I have hemmed jeans with it.
Maybe some day I will see one in "real life" but it just looks like an interesting set up.

I think the picture of your "Macy" appears to be sitting on an embroidered "treadle cover." I saw an ad once on the internet from I think a Herrschners catalog for a bunch of them. I actually saw a kit for one in the thrift store, but I was unemployed at the time and couldn't justify getting it. Is there a story behind the one you have?

I don't remember if I saw time period for when the Boye display cases were used. I remember reading that there was at least a couple of versions of them and one had had a newer numbering system. I didn't realize that they had badge names as well. I guess it makes perfect sense to have them listed.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:30 PM

I have a book with American traditional work projects. It has the pattern for the red work but I had to enlarge pattern. It is actually a dresser scarf. The title of the book Traditional American Crafts by Better Homes and Garden.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:10 PM

Now I just need to find a manual for this little machine.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:04 PM

The screw tightener for the bobbin winder wasn't enough to keep it working when it was jammed with gunk and using layers of blue friction tape for contact with the hand wheel. I found the little lever to lift the leaf tension bit interesting. Thanks so much everyone. It's way dirty, but everything works now except the feed dogs only go up and down not forward and back. Yukon is a winner.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:26 PM

Yes just hold the lever down to release the tension on the upper thread. While holding down the lever you will be able to remove the work from under the presser foot. As for as the feed dogs just a good cleaning under neath the machine in that area will usually fix the problem. There is also a spring attached to the feed dog so make sure it is there and installed correctly.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by IrisIrene View Post
The screw tightener for the bobbin winder wasn't enough to keep it working when it was jammed with gunk and using layers of blue friction tape for contact with the hand wheel. I found the little lever to lift the leaf tension bit interesting. Thanks so much everyone. It's way dirty, but everything works now except the feed dogs only go up and down not forward and back. Yukon is a winner.
Have you checked and are able to move the stitch length on the bed of the machine. It looks like it is set near 0. Maybe look at the connections and move indicator to 7 to see if anything moves near the feed dogs? Not sure about the spring Glenn mentioned. I haven't found anything to know what the "G" stands for between "0" and "24" There are some similarities between Macy, Yukon and the DavisVS Disk Tension.pdf over at VSS. It looks like it has a different bobbin winder.

I think Sew-Classic has some thicker bobbin winder tires. Can the bobbin winder assembly be shifted a little to the right and maybe use a round belt between the bobbin winder and the hand wheel?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 03-03-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:41 AM

I cleaned more around the feed dogs, messed with the stitch length indicator and spun a new thread onto the bobbin. It is stitching now. Not pretty stitches yet, but close. Thanks to all for your help. More cleaning and tackling the bobbin winder remain.