Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
westalee templates? >

westalee templates?

westalee templates?

Old 02-01-2017, 06:40 AM

Whoops, I just read page two of this thread. Twoxover, I can see that your shop is offering a complete introduction course and that you have to equip yourself with the foot and at least one set of rulers, meaning that you are making a big commitment before you've had a chance to figure out whether you'd feel comfortable with them. In my case, I tried FMQ, but failed completely, so I was intrigued when I visited Quilters Corner and saw the variety of designs available and the comparative ease of using the rulers. Then I watched some Westalee videos (and love the Australian accent because the lady's pronunciation reminded me of our exchange student's Aussie talk). Then I paid for a ½ price Craftsy course and found the instructions to be detailed, even fool-proof. Then I saw the foot and beginner set of rulers on sale at Quilters Corner. I've bought an additional 2 sets on sale. Meanwhile, I lost my grandson and then had a double mastectomy (recovering nicely, with good prognosis, but I'm very behind in my quilting). Now, I have time and opportunity to take the hands-on course. My shop is charging closer to $40 for the 4 hour course, and there will be approximately 15+ people taking it, by the way. I still feel that these rulers can make it fairly easy for the average person to create some beautiful designs.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:11 AM

Sun Valley Quilts in Sun City, AZ is having a 3 day Ruler Camp to teach how to use these rulers. I have just signed up and am very excited about this training. Our quilt guild bought two sets of rulers (high shank and low shank) last year for our members to check out and use and hardly anyone is using them. So I thought if I took the class I would be able to help others get started and see how they liked doing ruler work. Sun Valley's 3 day class is only $77. I can't wait for March 2.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:15 AM

Don't know anything about these templates but I was a beginner from the point of not being able to sew on a button and still use it. Now quilting is my go to relaxation and fun recharge. I'd go to the class. If you like quilting you will pick up useful into everywhere. Also, it's inspiring to be around other quilters.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:46 PM

JudyG and WaltonAlice...I am really looking forward to your reports! I think i'd like to see/try before I spend the money. but I am intrigued! perhaps another quilt shop in the area will be picking up the line!
Old 02-01-2017, 05:07 PM

Like twoxover, I'm curious and intrigued but not to the point that I'm willing to pay somewhere in the neighborhood of $300-400 to take this course. I'd love it if one of the LQS in our area had more of a 'demo' to watch (even for a moderate fee) to see if it's something I'd be interested in before investing that kind of moolah.

I've only ever hand quilted. Ok - machine quilted a few QFK quilts that required it but straight line stuff only.

I enjoy my hand quilting and have no intention of giving it up but I have a couple of WIP's that could probably be better served with MQ'ing due to the intricacy of the patterns and busy-ness of the fabrics. So..I'm curious. The shop in question offers a 'trunk show' in the AM that day but I don't know if that will give me the answers I'm after. Plus I have a major project at work that I really should not blow off to go to a quilting demo!
Old 02-02-2017, 12:21 AM

There is a woman who teaches FMQ and she likes these rulers: http://www.accentsindesign.com/ruler-foot Her name is Jeanne Harrison and she has a facebook page. She has a u-tube showing the clarity ruler. She says they are less expensive than the westalee.

Last edited by MarleneC; 02-02-2017 at 12:23 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:35 AM

I have some templates from Quilter's Rule that work like the Westalee's. Seeing the templates and sizes on Allbrands has me interested.

I want to do the old quilting templates that my grandmother used. Some of those cannot be done with rulers or if they can it is so time consuming it might not be worth it. I do not want to do all over quilting. I dislike it. I QAYG and by the block. You might have to buy 3 sizes and types of rulers which would be more expensive than one template if the template takes your fancy.

I bought rulers from 2 other companies. Top Anchor and the Quilted Pineapple. Both are very straightforward and easy to deal with.

Some of the work shown for rulers also has FMQ fillers. Amy Johnson does, for one.
Taking both her classes on Craftsy.

BTW - I've been all over the net looking for designing with the rulers. There just isn't much. The nested templates from Quilter's rule had more information.

BTW - Amy Johnson also has a blog = Amy's Quilting Adventures.

Last edited by Weezy Rider; 02-02-2017 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by MarleneC View Post
There is a woman who teaches FMQ and she likes these rulers: http://www.accentsindesign.com/ruler-foot Her name is Jeanne Harrison and she has a facebook page. She has a u-tube showing the clarity ruler. She says they are less expensive than the westalee.
they do look more economical, including the foot. i am going to check them out. NJQuilter....perhaps a shop local'ish to us has these? and we can check out? i sent them an email asking....
Old 03-04-2017, 10:36 PM

I have purchased the Westalee Ruler Foot and a couple of templates. I have a Brother PQ1500S, and have no trouble quilting with the FMQ foot that came with it. It does a great job. I took the Brother FMQ foot off, and inserted the Westalee Foot. I made no changes, but the thread now breaks about every two inches. I am getting so frustrated. I changed the needle, tried different threads, and adjusted the top tension. So far it is not working.

Do any of you have any suggestions on things I can try?
Old 03-05-2017, 01:07 AM

I had trouble with the thread breaking too. The problem was my chair my chair was too low. I know that sounds crazy but once I raised the seat up (in my case about 2") no more thread breakage.