Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Charity work >

Charity work

Charity work

Old 03-07-2017, 09:03 AM

There is also Quilts for Kids http://www.quiltsforkids.org/. I know they have local chapters all over the place. Another, no pressure group. My LQS also sets aside 1 day/month for a sew in for this group. Perhaps yours might as well - if not for this group, perhaps another.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:01 AM

Our church has a quilting group and we make quilts for local needs, CareNet for one.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:09 AM

Our school nurse often gives quilts to needy kids. A friend works as a nurse in the neo-natal section of our hospital and says there are always babies who go home with nothing. I have delivered quilts to her. How about your local homeless shelter or women's shelter? I also give quilts to our local library to raffle off. The possibilities are almost endless!
Old 03-08-2017, 05:31 AM

Your local EMS, firefighters, police or sheriff departments could possibly be a donation site.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:44 AM

There are many local areas to donate to I am with 2 groups one goes to the womens rescue for abused women and children another goes to police for when they have to move a child they get a quilt and a stuffed animal to hang onto also highway patrol so if they go to a wreck where kids are involved or just plain needing a warm covering also social services our 2 groups simply cannot handle all the needs and I agree so many local why spend postage on mailing
Old 03-09-2017, 01:24 PM
Power Poster

I have met a young woman that decides when kids need to be removed from their homes. I have donated some quilts for some of these kids. I have always given away most of the many quilts I have made. No way could I keep them all.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:18 PM

Our guild supports our local shelters for abused and youth. At our last meeting, the director for the local youth shelter absolutely gushed about how our generosity has impacted her 'guests'. When a new guest arrives, he/she is given the opportunity to choose a quilt from their supply. For some, this is a first--something that is entirely their choice and belongs solely to them--for ever and ever!!

There are so many people who, through no fault of their own, are in dire straits. No need to look further than your own community.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:25 PM

Our group makes many quilts for charities. For foster children we always embroider their names on their quilts. They often have few things that are solely theirs. Bless you on your efforts.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:42 PM
Power Poster

Do you have a local quilt guild? Most of them have a community service component. My guild, for example, donates quilts to local hospitals for children who get admitted. Then there are "lovies" (small quiltlets) and drawstring bags for children in receiving homes.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:49 PM

I'm recently aware of the need for "fidget quilts" for people with Alzheimer's. If you search here on the QB for "fidget quilts," you'll find lots of ideas.