Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Weird places to sew >

Weird places to sew

Weird places to sew

Old 03-09-2017, 07:57 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]569638[/ATTACH] In 2012 we drove across the US and I tried to do a little stitching outside and make one block at each camp. Here I am trying to sew beside Lake Superior, Ashland, Wisconsin... it was windy enough that I had to anchor my pieces down.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellowstone and Shipshewana 2012265_edited (Small).JPG
Views:	269
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	569638  
Old 03-09-2017, 08:02 AM

what a great man he is awesome video thanks for posting
Old 03-09-2017, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Sleepy Hollow View Post
Like Just1MoreStitcher, I've set up my sewing machine at work many times. On days with lots of downtime, I will hand quilt, press fabric, or cut pieces in the locker room/bathroom. I am one of only three women, and the other two work in areas closer to other bathrooms, so rarely enter this one. I'm on call the whole time, so often have to drop everything mid-stitch.

On night shifts there are no crews and just me and two coworkers. On nights, I set up in one of the crew's break rooms. They have big lunch tables and lots of light, along with a tv (I have recently started hooking up my computer and playing French lesson videos.) I get a nice sewing space and the crew comes in to a clean lunch table every morning. The only downside is that I have to break down every morning, but I've moved a locker onto the same floor, so it's easier to store my machine and my work.

There is another area I work where I sit in a small concrete shack with windows. Often, I have to sit in this shack for my job, but mostly it's just waiting, so there is a lot of time for my hand quilting (or crochet). There is no table, so I just sit in the share and prop my lap hoop on the edge of some equipment.

I'll also add the Senior Center since I'm only in my 30s. The room we use for quilting is next to the room with the gun range.
Is your place hiring? Because this is a dream of a work environment.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:08 PM

Years ago we were building a house and living in our RV in the mean time. We had the exterior walls up and covered w/house wrap and the roof on and I set up a sewing area in my future bedroom! Unfortunately we moved before we even finished the house but I enjoyed sewing in there.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:04 AM

Thimblebug- Was that at Little Girl's County Park? I love that area and have done a great deal of hand stitching there.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:19 AM

I have sewn in kitchen's, dining rooms, Masonic lodges, church hall, back yards bedrooms. We have project at work that we were sewing in a conference room. We are now in the file room. Bad lighting. And I have sewn both hand and machine, at my desk at work.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by MsHeirloom View Post
Thimblebug- Was that at Little Girl's County Park? I love that area and have done a great deal of hand stitching there.
Just checked back on my notes, and I called it the City Park, it had quite a few long term campers and it was beside a huge wharf that was being dismantled from the iron ore mining days, if that helps? The sand and water was quite red but DH swam in it anyway.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by CMQUILTER View Post
I stayed over night in a motel for business and brought my machine for after business hours sewing.
I've done that to.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:26 PM

I found it frustrating to go to Amish Country and see all the quilts and fabric. So one vacation I took my sewing machine, the quilt I was working on, and the essentials and sewed in the hotel room. I took my iron just incase the one in the room was not desirable. Also went to a bowling tournament and in the evenings I cut out a quilt.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:44 PM
Power Poster

I think the bathroom might be a good option. The only concern I would have if it gets very moist.