Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Question about Amazon Prime features >

Question about Amazon Prime features

Question about Amazon Prime features

Old 03-17-2017, 04:28 PM

I have it and love it. I live in rural New Mexico, yet I am lucky enough to have fiber optic cable to get my internet. I don't have cable TV or any other subscription to TV. I can get a ton of free movies and other programming and free shipping of basically anything I want. They also give me a free book for my electronic reader monthly and tons of free books in a library and other free book offers. My eyes are not as good as they used to be, so I use a reader and enlarge the type, so anything I read is Large Type! There is music, too, but I don't use it.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
I went and did it, I signed up so I could get my human powered grain mill and some grains. Do not know anything about how to watch a movie but will give Prime a try. At least I can cancel anytime I wish but really need to find out more.
Thank you for the good 'reviews'.
To watch amazon movies you need a "streaming" device like a Roku. It works through your wireless internet connection to stream movie videos to your TV. We got a refurbished Roku and it works great. you need an HDMI port on your TV to be able to insert the streaming device. My DH has really gotten in to watching some series they have on Prime and there are all kinds of movies.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

I have internet and watch movies on my computer with Amazon. I do have a kindle but must get it working. moved and haven't had the chance to do that.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:15 PM

If you have a prime membership, you can watch a lot of the shows and movies for free. Just look for the word "Prime" in the upper left corner of the movie/show. If its there you can watch for free, the others you have to rent or buy. Hope this helps..
Old 03-18-2017, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

Amazon lists what you can share with others on your prime account. You can have a family account. But if too many are streaming on your password, a red flag goes up.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:31 PM

you can buy anything with prime. From toilet paper to any product you might want. We don't bother to shop around we find the best prices on amazon. If you order from smile amazon they donate to your favorite charity! It might be pennies but it all adds up
Old 03-18-2017, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
You can share Prime with someone. I have my DD on my free shipping. She uses her home address and account, not mine. I get enough cash back from using Amazon Visa card to more then pay for Prime each year. On Amazon page click on Prime and there is a listing of all the benefits. I have had Prime since it was available. If it's cheaper on Amazon I buy it, even groceries.
I can't find on the Amazon web site how share is done. I would also like to share with my daughter. Is their a way to talk to a customer service rep. Or can you direct me on how to share!!!
Old 03-18-2017, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Amazon lists what you can share with others on your prime account. You can have a family account. But if too many are streaming on your password, a red flag goes up.

For the life of me I can't find on the website how to share your prime account. Can you help me or point me to specific instructions.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:12 PM

DH watches videos and listens to music. I have Fire TV and can watch the You Tube videos on TV (I don't have Roku). I am a big fan of the free Kindle books and I keep watch for some of the top books being on sale for a day and have picked up $14 book for $2 - which is my upper cost limit. -- and checking out e-books from the library for the Kindle (it goes through Amazon) -- our library lets me keep them for 3 weeks. Oh yes, I ordered food from Amazon Fresh when I was ill and got supplies from the Pantry.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by selm View Post
To watch amazon movies you need a "streaming" device like a Roku. It works through your wireless internet connection to stream movie videos to your TV. We got a refurbished Roku and it works great. you need an HDMI port on your TV to be able to insert the streaming device. My DH has really gotten in to watching some series they have on Prime and there are all kinds of movies.
Or you can watch movies on your pc or where ever you have your wifi set up on. I have mine on my tablet so it goes where ever I go and I can watch it anywhere.

the other option is in sharing screens. I have a smart TV and my laptop does mirroring so I can sync my tablet to my tv and watch on the TV, no wires or connecting. I also got rid of cable and use antenas, I sure don't miss those cable bills. I put wifi on my tablet thru Sprint for 25 a month, so much cheaper than the internet company and I can take it with me. I get 5G of free hotspot a month so I can hook up my laptop, internet on the TV, etc without extra cost.