Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A question for pet owners >

A question for pet owners

A question for pet owners

Old 03-28-2017, 03:58 PM

Reba's quilts- one of our dogs is a Pom!

charlottequilts- I don't force my animals on others just as I would not want their (fill in the blank) forced on me. So, "it's love me, and take or leave the dogs", lol.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:15 PM

Whoever receives a quilt by either a gift or I sell to them. I always say "I don't charge extra for the cat hair". But I try my best to remove it.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:11 PM
Power Poster

I keep most bedrooms pet free. If I make to give, I wash, line dry and take into a pet free room and pack up. Lint rollers/brushes are a must in our house (2 dogs + 2 cats) vacuuming everyday and hard floors where possible is the way to go.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:29 AM

I'm so glad to hear so many are conscientious of the pet hair and it's affects on others. When I tell the women at my bee about my allergies they look at me like I have two heads.
I have to refuse quilt tops from the cat owners, which seems to be so many. Because you can't wash a top before it's quilted.
Not to shanghai this thread, but perfume on tops is oh so bad. For anyone with fragrance allergies, my solution is to hang the tops and backing outside on a line for a day before longarming them. My backyard looks so pretty some days.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:31 AM
Power Poster

My thoughts about washing -

Use a fragrance- free, hypoallergenic detergent, rinse twice, no dryer sheets, and bag as soon as it is removed from the dryer. This is assuming one has "good" water available.

When we had furry pets, I always had some hair on my clothing. Sometimes some of it was my own

Last edited by bearisgray; 03-29-2017 at 03:34 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:22 AM

I love my two cats, and they love my quilts. That being said, I have family and friends who are allergic to the cats plus I sew for charity a reasonable amount. I finally declared my two spare bedrooms and my sewing room off limit to the cats. I keep the doors shut to those rooms all the time. Even then, I wash all items before giving them away and store them in a closed plastic bag until they leave my house. My friends who are allergic to my cats know to take anti allergy meds before they come to my house, but the child in a hospital receiving my Quilts for Kids contribution has enough on his or her plate.

Pam