Fmq

Old 03-28-2017, 06:28 PM
Power Poster

I was in a similar spot and decided to start "doodling" which is really just FMQ on paper. I recently started on my third sketch book. The other two are full of FMQ quilting designs from meandering, over loops, all the way to feathers. The more you repeat each pattern, the more muscle memory you build and the easier the actual FMQ process gets.

Until you feel confident, use a thread that blends and have fun with it.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
welcome to the QB. Leah Day has some common sense lessons https://leahday.com/
I agree with QuiltnNan...Leah Day helped me learn by watching her videos.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:00 AM

Welcome to the QB and to the world of quilting. I agree, Leah Day is a great instructor and has many YouTube videos. When I first started FMQ, I made up a half dozen 12x12 or FQ (fat quarter) size sandwiches with solid fabric and used contrasting thread to practice, practice, practice.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:28 AM

Good Morning! Don't give up, and don't be so critical of your work. No one else will look at it as closely as you do (unless you've entering a quilt for judging)! Other have given you great suggestions - drawing on paper first really does help, and lots of practice - no one did it perfectly the first time!
Old 03-29-2017, 03:56 AM

If you don't want to take the time to make practice sandwiches you can buy a few packages of cheap craft felt from your local craft store, put two together and practice Fmq on those. I always keep some around for doodling and practicing new designs. Saves time cutting and you don't need any batting. Put a safety pin in each corner and have at it.

Rob
Old 03-29-2017, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by lor1964 View Post
New to quilting, have made 3 to date and I am extremely bored with not being able to FMQ....I really have tried, and tried, and tried, with no success. would like some guides as to good videos or teaching tools because with my past experience I have spent countless money buying online and getting ripped off
There is a Facebook group called Sit Down Free Motion Quilting Group that has some free tutorials created by Jeanne Harrison. If you do Facebook, ask to join the group. They will accept you and under the files there are tutorials. Jeanne Harrison is EXCELLENT.....better than any famous teacher I have seen. You will love it!
Old 03-29-2017, 06:14 AM

Get a bunch of little quilt sandwiches ready & go to Leah Days site. She has a lot of good videos to help with FMQ
Old 03-29-2017, 06:15 AM

Jacque Gering (I that is right) on Craftsy has two excellent classes on straight line quilting. Well worth the buy especially if you buy during a sale! I started with this as a precursor to FMQ. It gave me a lot of confidence and I learned to manipulate the quilt in my machine!
Old 03-29-2017, 07:14 AM

The idea of going to the Leah Day web site is a great one. Also some tips I've learned. First make some quilt sandwiches using some material you don't plan to use in a quilt and practice, practice practice! I have found that using a top stitch needle helps. Also be sure all your sandwich is completely supported without any overhang as that will effect your tension. I put extra tables around my sewing table. Good luck, and don't give up. It really does take a lot of practice.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:46 AM

Great video online -- about an hour long and breaks FMQ into a couple of basic movements, found it very useful:
"what to quilt on your quilt". Those of you who were already doodlers have an edge on learning free motion, the rest of us have to learn the movements to make it natural for us.