Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Things that have changed in quilting >

Things that have changed in quilting

Things that have changed in quilting

Old 03-31-2017, 01:56 PM

Dodie, my granddaughter walked me through this process. #1 capture the pix on the phone, #2 transfer to my email address, #3 save the pix, #4 transfer to the QB forum. If I'm leaving out something, one of these other ladies will let you know.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:59 PM
Power Poster

i have a quilt my grandma made in the 50's. she tied some of it, and the back was aqua corduroy. I remember the quiltshow i was at that a man was showing off how to use a rotary cutter. you would thought he was giving them away the way ladies bought them. the same when i first saw a brooklyn revolver. THey flew out the door too. they are also very good about standing behind their product. I saw the guy at a quilt show last year, explained my problem and on the spot, he gave me a new one.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:19 PM

My grandma (father's mom) made quilts as far back as 1905 on a treadle -- I know because I had the quilt dated. She pieced on that machine until 1967 when she could no longer see. She hand quilted her tops, but she must not have liked doing the hand work much because they are quilted very far apart and the batting has shifted over the years. Only one of the quilts that I have from her early years has had the fabric dissolve -- it was made in the 1930's and my mother-in-law happened to have the exact scraps in her scrap bin from a dress she had made for herself in the 1930's from her mother's stash -- go figure! When I took the quilt to an appraiser to date it (the fabric was from the late 1800) I showed them the scraps and the story behind them -- she was floored. She told me if I wanted to, I could applique over the shredded pieces or I could put net over the shredded pieces -- I opted for the applique with a note on the back telling what I did.

I started quilting myself in 1972 making baby quilts -- some whole cloth and some copies of Grandma's quilts using cardboard templates and scissors and tying them. In the early 1980's I go my first quilt book -- a copy of Eleanor Burns Log Cabin I found in Goodwill. My first bed quilt had a king-size sheet for the top and bottom and a poly batting -- and I embroidered the whole top (the sheet was a printed scene). It took me a year. I then went to work and put quilting aside since I was making clothes and working. In 1999 I retired and took up quilting again -- WOW how easy it was compared to what I had done years earlier! The rotary cutter, cutting mat and plastic rulers are a godsend -- and not I am trying to learn my way around a Go Big since my hands don't like to use the rotary cutter very much. I am glad to see all of these changes.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:41 AM

I've only been quilting since 2008, but the game changers for me have been youtube and domestic machine foot rulers. Gotta say I love the new modern quilts, too. Youtube has helped with tutorials when I'm stuck or want to learn a new pattern. I just love Missouri Star Quilts tutorials. Now I'm working on learning ruler work so I can machine quilt my own quilts. For me, there's something about completing the whole project start to finish. Long armers are great, but I want to do it myself and I'll never have the space nor money for a long arm machine. These domestic machine feet which allow me to use rulers brings home quilting to new level for me.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by berryberry View Post
I've only been quilting since 2008, but the game changers for me have been youtube and domestic machine foot rulers.
Those are biggies - particularly the youtube. There are instructions for EVERYTHING.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:30 PM

I made my first quilt in 1964 & it was scrappy (2" squares) with all the pieces cut out with scissors. Then I didn't pick up quilting again until 2001(37 years later). You can imagine how surprised I was to hear about machine quilting & especially rotary cutters & mats! Strip piecing, etc. was never heard of back in the 60's. We've come a long way & I'm loving every minute of it!