Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend -- April 14-16, 2017 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend -- April 14-16, 2017

Virtual Quilting Weekend -- April 14-16, 2017

Old 04-15-2017, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

taking a lunch break, finishing up quilting two more charity quilts
Old 04-15-2017, 09:11 AM

I'm taking a lunch break too. Got the 7 yards of purple backing loaded and a pair of cross quilts laid out, and then spent the last two hours looking for the perfect digital pattern.

Finally decided I'd just use something I already had, but I felt rather disgusted by the wasted time, so I made a batch of Magic cookie bars to sweeten myself up. Once they are out of the oven, I'll get back to quilting.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that once the pattern is on the quilt, and it's unlikely anyone will ever look at it and think "why did she select that quilting pattern for it?"
Old 04-15-2017, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

I have a stupid infection and am now on antibiotics. So last night was a total bust. Amazing how something relatively small can put such a crimp in the plans. I WILL get into my room today (she says stomping her feet like a 3 year-old). lol
Old 04-15-2017, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

This whole last week I spent going through my clothing closet, I was sick of oh this needs to move the button, this needs a hem. Or I am in a hurry and have no time to iron this blouse. I am happy to say not one item in my whole closet is not ready to just put on. Whew, that is one huge closet. I have a nice box ready for the thrift shop and ordered two new pairs of jeans. I am now ready to settle back down to my quilting. A tough job but no one else was going to do it. Now spring and summer are ready to come for me.
The week before I had spring cleaning to do and yard clean up duty. So, I am so ready to sew fun things.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 04-15-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:45 PM

Martina, hope you get to feeling better soon! That is such a drag to get sick and have that mess up your plans.

I'm taking a break from the LA - got a bit more than one more pass and I'll have the first pair done. I had planned using purple thread, but discovered I didn't have any that matched the purple batik - so I went with light cream instead and think it will be much nicer -so that is a good thing. I'm going to use this color for all of them, that will make things easier.

I took some pictures, but left my phone on with the LA.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:08 PM

I somehow didn't see that this was a VQW until this evening! I spent all day yesterday and all day today finishing up the sewn top for a tuffet. I will try to post a pic tomorrow. May not get much more done this weekend since we have an out of town guest tonight and tomorrow night.

Rob
Old 04-15-2017, 05:42 PM

Here is today's progress.

The first set, these are 43X60.

and the second set, also 45x60.

The other two sets are a bit smaller, so hopefully I can fit them all rolled up at one time. Otherwise I'll be taking some off and reattaching the backing to the leader. That isn't a big deal, but it will be faster if I don't need to. I've got about 2' more backing then I need, so plenty of room.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
Still working on my "Pick Up Sticks" wall hanging. Just have one block to go and the pebbles are turning out nicely.
Continue to be at a loss as to how to quilt to sashing and borders, however.....I even went through all 500 of Leah Day's great free motion options and didn't find anything that struck me! Onwards and upwards!

I also hope to purchase fabrics this weekend for a Ribbon Box quilt in teals and purples. http://cloud9fabrics.com/make-sew-ribbon-box-quilt/

Watson
[ATTACH=CONFIG]571510[/ATTACH]
Beautiful work. I'm jealous.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:48 PM

My machine needs to go to the doctor, so I'm not sewing. I organized my shelves with magazines and books last night. I pulled patterns I want from the magazines and put them all together. I need to get more plastic sleeves so I can file them in 3 ring binders. I started cutting fabric for the next quilt I want to make, using stash. Hopefully I can find (and have enough of) colors I need for sashing. Tonight I am being very discouraged as the Blackhawks are losing their game.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Yea! Been looking forward to this.

I've been working on the Fire Island Hosta pattern for 3-4 weeks now. So I'll be working on that off and on, with the main hope of getting some floppies quilted. Took the time to count, and though many are throw/wall hanging size, I've got about 30 waiting.

Cathy, I'd love to see your Fire Island Hosta quilt. It looks like a bear to make. However, I'm a hosta nut. The breeder of Fire Island has produced some of my favorite hosta.

bk