Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do I need zippered leaders, and what accessories to get >

Do I need zippered leaders, and what accessories to get

Do I need zippered leaders, and what accessories to get

Old 04-21-2017, 03:32 PM

I have a Gammill--welcome to the world of Long Arming! I have many add-ons (bought that way, but no hydraulics which is what I'd like to be able to afford). Here's what I'd suggest: maintenance kit; stand alone bobbin winder(and I buy 2 cones of almost every thread so I can leave one on the stand alone while quilting); extra bobbins; extended table; micro-stippling handles if you like the look of denser quilting; light bar on the machine (the overheads are nice, but where you put it may already have nice lighting so all you need is the intense light close to the needle); panto handles if you think you will do them--and most of us use pantos at times; you don't say what size table you are getting--but I would suggest a 12' if you have the space--that allows you to quilt most anything (I have a 14' and rarely need that lenght). And the laser light.

What I'd not buy--the Gammill guide (I don't have and everyone I know that has it says it's hard to handle); casters (you likely aren't going to be moving it often enough to warrant them--mine came with them but never been moved--it's too heavy even with casters!); the start up kit--you can get all the supplies other sources and unless they are giving you a wide assortment of thread weights and needle sizes, you will want to do a little experimenting to see what you like best. Several on-line stores carry lots of Gammill stuff--Linda's Electric Quilts, Kingmen Quilting, etc. You can get a drafting stool for $99 at most office supply stores and you really don't need the guide for a stool as most have locking casters and you can lock a wheel and not worry about flying away. The Gammill Guide jr. is just a longer straight ruler with a handle on top--I like my Linda Taylor straight ruler much better. And Gammill's are thristy machines so you will need oil--but again, that's easy to get too.

hold off on zipper leaders--I bought those and then decided I was still just pinning (I didn't like to sew the backing to the zipper leaders)so I ended up switching to Red Snappers--which I love.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:03 PM

No, you don't need zippered leaders. I prefer using just the one set of velcro leaders that came with my HQ. I use Red Snappers but had the top snapper pieces cut into 2-2 1/2" increments due to my arthritis.
Ask for a written statement of when you need to spend the extra credit. That way you will have time to get together with other Gammill users and LA'ers.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:22 AM

This isn't an accessory, but wanted you to be aware of the new machine Gammill is about to launch. It is a mid sized computerized machine called Elegante. It isn't an addition to the existing machines, but rather a whole new one. So if you have a Vision 2 you can't upgrade. It requires a trade in.
So if you ever entertained the notion of having a computerized machine, not like a Statler, you might consider checking into it before purchasing the Vision 2.
Just a thought.
I second the opinion of the Gam guide ruler. It isn't very user friendly. I had it a a conference of Gammill users recently. The concensus was the same. No good.
Get lots of bobbins and a stand alone winder. The onboard one can only be successfully used while stitching in Constant mode.
A lot of needles would come in handy as well.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:46 AM

Don't get the zippered leaders. I have Leadergrips instead and love them. Make sure you have the extended base, and buy some other high ticket items. Small ticket items like oil and needles are easier for you to afford to buy yourself later.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:39 AM

Thank you for all the wonderful comments and suggestions. I am so thankful and now will have to go over the list, as well as on the site to see what I would actually purchase with the $1,000 Gammill offer. These posts gave me a lot to think about and a few more sites to look at.

Do you have any suggestions in getting batting. The store said it likes 80/20 cotton. I was thinking I should get a roll from them when they deliver the machine since it looks really expensive to order on line.

As I am a complete novice in purchasing this long arm, was suppose to happen last year but house improvements got in the way. I am excited, but scared to death since I know nothing about the machine itself (or any other long arm), and am clueless as to adjusting tensions in something like this. The dealer is not close and not in an area that I can drive to myself. But hubby thought this was the best machine of all when we went to Expo in March, and I could handle it better than I ever imagined.

Is there a way to find out about any long arm or Gammill clubs or people with advice in my area (Marietta, GA)??
I could only find one yahoo group site which was for Statler only. I use the yahoo site for tips on my other embroidery/sewing machines, and learn a lot, as well as the wealth of information I get from reading the Quiltingboard every single day.
karensue

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-22-2017 at 12:20 PM. Reason: remove shouting
Old 04-22-2017, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by karensue View Post
Thank you for all the wonderful comments and suggestions. I am so thankful and now will have to go over the list, as well as on the site to see what I would actually purchase with the $1,000 Gammill offer. These posts gave me a lot to think about and a few more sites to look at.

Do you have any suggestions in getting batting. The store said it likes 80/20 cotton. I was thinking I should get a roll from them when they deliver the machine since it looks really expensive to order on line.

As I am a complete novice in purchasing this long arm, was suppose to happen last year but house improvements got in the way. I am excited, but scared to death since I know nothing about the machine itself (or any other long arm), and am clueless as to adjusting tensions in something like this. The dealer is not close and not in an area that I can drive to myself. But hubby thought this was the best machine of all when we went to Expo in March, and I could handle it better than I ever imagined.

Is there a way to find out about any long arm or Gammill clubs or people with advice in my area (Marietta, GA)??
I could only find one yahoo group site which was for Statler only. I use the yahoo site for tips on my other embroidery/sewing machines, and learn a lot, as well as the wealth of information I get from reading the Quiltingboard every single day.
karensue
KarenSue--don't worry much about the tension. Go ahead and get a Towa gauge--I check each bobbin and adjust bobbin tension if needed--I rarely mess with the top tension and then only the intermediate tension (one in middle of arm, not the one closest to the needle). Adjusting bobbin seemed real foreign to me at first since I was always told not to touch the bobbin tension on my DSM, but you get used to it. If you have problems, make sure that it's threaded right, pull out the bobbin and reinsert into the case again, etc.
Do check around to see if there's a machine quilting guild in your area--I'm not familiar with your area, but where I live there's a machine quilters guild that encompasses a 8 county area. We only meet every other month so the drive isn't too bad. We have a presenter about every other meeting. But the best meetings are really when we each bring a quilt and talk about how to quilt it; bring the ruler that we still can;t figure out how to use; use the dry erase board to demo a quick edge-to-edge, etc.
I get my bat either at a dealer for Nolting that is fairly close, or I get my LQS to order me one and pick up at the store. I now have a roll of wool bat, but typically will keep a package of black bat, one of poly and used to keep a wool on hand. I order my needles & thread usually from Superior. Rulers I tend to indulge myself on at major quilt shows--and do go to major shows and take classes--you will be glad you did and gain so much confidence on your quilting. Keep us posted on your progress---there are many long arm quilters on this board and I've learned much from them too.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-22-2017 at 12:21 PM. Reason: to match quoted post edit
Old 04-23-2017, 02:27 AM

Karensue, I just wanted to say congratulations on your new machine...(green with envy). I recently had the opportunity to take a FMQ class on a Gammill (a smaller one) and it stitched nicely. Once my new sewing room is finished I will then be faced with choosing a LA machine. Each brand has their pros and cons.

If you know you're going to do ruler work, that's definitely where I'd use my accessory allowance. Where I rent a LA, we use the grippers and it's nice because you're paying by the hour...but if I had a machine at home, I would probably just pin especially since you do not need to take the quilt on and off until it's finished.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:15 AM

Do you know what kind of extra's you are going to get when they delivery your machine. I got a little box that had extra fuses, extra bobbin case some allen wrenches and various other tools.. If you do not have good lighting where you are going to put you machine, the light bar would be a plus as it is pricey.. But I would for sure get the extended base. If you plan to do ruler work it is a must. I also got the zippered leaders, but if you are only going to quilt for yourself I wouldn't see the need for them.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:38 PM

Congratulations on your new LA. I have a Gammill Vision and love it. You might want to check and see if your machine already comes with any of those accessories before ordering them. Mine did come with zippered leaders (and an extra set that I've never taken out of the bag), the extended base (a must for ruler work) and GamGuide Jr. (hated it, found it hard to use). The maintenance kit sounds like a good idea. Have to admit that, in 5 years and 150 hours of use, I have never needed any of those items replaced but, if you need one on a Saturday night, it would save you tons of frustration. Castors only have come in handy when needing to move the table to replace the carpeting. I think the micro-drive handles would be great if you expect to do a lot of small background fillers. Not sure what panto handles are. Mine already has handles on both the front and the back of the machine - maybe that's not standard any more.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:37 AM

Thanks again for information and suggestions.
Apparently Gammill doesn't give anything free (a few machine basics) with the machine now. I saw flyers from a few years back and they gave the extended base, zippered leaders, and the work station for circles/ovals free with the machine. I am jealous of those who got those items. But after all your help I think I am satisfied with my selections, and I have added the pantograph handles to my list. It's hard to find specific information on options, but from what I have been able to find, those handles make it easier to follow the pantographs. And I am going for the red snappers, instead of the zippered leaders.