Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cost of LQS Fabric >

Cost of LQS Fabric

Cost of LQS Fabric

Old 05-02-2017, 03:53 AM

There is a store in my area that has an end of the bolt-end of the month sale every month. Anything less than 5 yards on any bolt can be purchased for 25% off. They also have a sale area. Twice a year they have a bigger clearance sale. Another store has 40% off on seasonal fabrics. I seldom pay full price. I try to buy locally because I want to support the local economy and friendly face contact. I 'play the loyalty card game' at the grocery store and use my 'savings' for my hobby-quilting.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:58 AM

I love the LQS. Yes prices are higher but I like to support them as they carry such nice fabrics and it helps to keep the small locally owned businesses going. You get a lot of other help in those shops too. Many have classes and some also do quilting. Most I've found are always willing to help the beginner who doesn't understand how to do certain things.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

Another thing to ponder is when we have scraps and use them to make another quilt or other type sewing project. I have purchased extra for that reason and especially if it's on sale, I've already saved on gas and car maintenance.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:06 AM

When I went to the LQS and saw prices at $16, it was my last trip there. Now, I support local, so don't bash me. The store is lovely. It also sells machines and has long arm services. It sells those machines, too. So there are a lot of pluses to the store, but really? $16 a yard? We have Hobby Lobby, Joanne's and 3 WalMart stores. It's a no-brainer to shop where my budget fits.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:31 AM

Look for old quilters selling their stash...that is how I ended up selling fabric...and I find wonderful quality.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
When I went to the LQS and saw prices at $16, it was my last trip there. Now, I support local, so don't bash me. The store is lovely. It also sells machines and has long arm services. It sells those machines, too. So there are a lot of pluses to the store, but really? $16 a yard? We have Hobby Lobby, Joanne's and 3 WalMart stores. It's a no-brainer to shop where my budget fits.
I've always felt that if they wish to price themselves out of existence, thats on them. All the other places have overhead too, and seem to cope. Even on-line stores have a place to keep fabric and employees to handle it, and heat/cooling and lights, and THEY have to package and mail as well. Do you suppose thats not overhead?
Old 05-02-2017, 05:48 AM

Unfortunately, fabric has gone thru the roof. Almost anywhere it will run $8.99 - $15.99 in a storefront. I only buy on sale/coupon/clearance/discontinued. I keep it to at the max $4.99 per yard. I watch the various sites for their super sales. I also buy after season for the following year. Last year, in the couple days before Christmas, I purchased over $280 worth of fabric for under $90 - TWICE. If I have a customer requesting something very unusual, I look online. I have found some perfect fabric on etsy several times and only need 1/2 or 1 yard. This is the only way I can sell items for a profit. It saddens me that I can't shop at LQSs, but I just can't afford them.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

I sometimes do business with a shop in New Hampshire. She is online only so many batiks are less than $9.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:57 AM

Sadly, I think many LQS are pricing themselves out of business. We see more and more shops closing and quilters trying to use their stash and only purchase fabric to complete a project.

Fabric prices went up drastically a few years ago when the price of cotton went up, but didn't go down when cotton went down.

I miss adding to my stash.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by institches33 View Post
Sadly, I think many LQS are pricing themselves out of business. We see more and more shops closing and quilters trying to use their stash and only purchase fabric to complete a project.

Fabric prices went up drastically a few years ago when the price of cotton went up, but didn't go down when cotton went down.

I miss adding to my stash.

Quilting became "popular" about that time. Anytime something becomes a popular thing to spend money on, prices go through the roof.
I still remember the price of horses before everybody wanted one