Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Allergy to Pets interfering with volunteer longarming >

Allergy to Pets interfering with volunteer longarming

Allergy to Pets interfering with volunteer longarming

Old 05-02-2017, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Gerbie View Post
For all of those people who do not and have never had allergies, they just don't understand how bad they can be for those who do suffer from allergies. I have allergies to many medications and most fragrances as well, and have to steer clear of them and especially in stores that sell scented candles and cosmetics/ perfumes. I can sell them a mile away it seems.
Understand what you are saying-I have a niece with life-threatening allergies.
But I suspect some of the doubt comes from knowing people that have "allergies" to scents/pets/whatever yet smoke like chimneys.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:23 AM

QuiltE has the best answer as I to have allergies and I have seen wonderful quilts refused in a show because of pet hair as they said they could not mix them with other quilts and could not hang them for insurance and allergy reasons
sorry about your allergy but let it be known do not take a chance with your health
Old 05-02-2017, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

To be blunt:

If taking in other people's stuff is causing you problems, then don't do it.

Tell the people at whatever organization you volunteered at - you tried it - it caused you more problems than it was worth - you won't be doing it any more.

The End.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
To be blunt:

If taking in other people's stuff is causing you problems, then don't do it.

Tell the people at whatever organization you volunteered at - you tried it - it caused you more problems than it was worth - you won't be doing it any more.

The End.
I concur. That's where my head is on this whole situation. I'm going to make quilts from start to finish and find places to donate them.
I had gotten away from piecing because I was doing too much longarming. I like the whole process. So I think this will be better.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by sval View Post
I concur. That's where my head is on this whole situation. I'm going to make quilts from start to finish and find places to donate them.
I had gotten away from piecing because I was doing too much longarming. I like the whole process. So I think this will be better.
I think you have thought this through very well and have made a perfect decision. Quilt on!

Dina
Old 05-02-2017, 05:57 PM

Well said!
Old 05-02-2017, 07:40 PM

I have cats and dogs. I am also still a smoker. Having said that, it plain amazes me that anyone would do that's to you. When I finish my quilts, they are fresh washed in white vinegar and no scent laundry soap, dried without dryer sheets, and immediately folded into fresh, no scent, plastic bags, tied shut, and out to the car that the dogs ride in. When they are to be delivered, then and only then are they removed from the bags and hand delivered. I have too many friends who are extremely sensitive to too many things, so I will not take a risk. I do have a dear friend who is allergic to cigarette smoke so our friendship has been a telephone, and now internet, friendship. It works for us. It is called treating others with respect, and we all have the right to be respected. Period. (As grandpa would say, "some people's children...")

Last edited by madamekelly; 05-02-2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:54 AM

try using a rubber glove, its amazing how you can get pet hair off anything with just using rubber gloves.It is a lot of work, but works. Saw it on Dr Oz and his allergy show.Just put he gloves on and "rake the item " into pile ,then remove.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

When washed in vinegar often you don't need a dryer sheet. For me it's about cutting out the static. If clothes are taken out of the dryer immediately most often they don't need pressing. I use unscented dryer sheets from SEventh Generation. I wash my fabric in vinegar and unscented laundry detergent.
Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I have cats and dogs. I am also still a smoker. Having said that, it plain amazes me that anyone would do that's to you. When I finish my quilts, they are fresh washed in white vinegar and no scent laundry soap, dried without dryer sheets, and immediately folded into fresh, no scent, plastic bags, tied shut, and out to the car that the dogs ride in. When they are to be delivered, then and only then are they removed from the bags and hand delivered. I have too many friends who are extremely sensitive to too many things, so I will not take a risk. I do have a dear friend who is allergic to cigarette smoke so our friendship has been a telephone, and now internet, friendship. It works for us. It is called treating others with respect, and we all have the right to be respected. Period. (As grandpa would say, "some people's children...")
Old 05-03-2017, 09:58 AM

I think you just have to tell people that you can't accept quilts from homes with pets unless the quilt is completely and thoroughly cleaned. Your health is too important to risk having an allergic reaction. It is the responsibilty of the owner to do this. You are not the one who needs to clean the quilt. That is the maker's responsibilty. You are doing your part by volunteering your time and skills, and they need to do their part by providing clean quilts.