Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cost of LQS Fabric >

Cost of LQS Fabric

Cost of LQS Fabric

Old 05-02-2017, 08:32 AM

I am retired and also another who can afford quilt shops but thankfully I have a huge stash that I tried to stock up on when I was still working. I realize prices are not the fault of the quilt shop their expenses is huge if they hire anyone or without,rent, utilities,insurance and since I don't own a shop probably others that I do not know about. I to hate to lose our quilt shops but I just cannot afford to go there
Old 05-02-2017, 04:22 PM

"What is a "reasonable" price to pay per yard without coupons or sales?" Wish I could figure out how to highlight the last part of that quote, as most seem to be focusing on getting sales or discounts.

How do you define "LQS"? Is it a lovely, well lit, decorated shop, with lots of notions and patterns in addition to bolt after bolt of fabric as well as a place to take classes and have at least two people in the shop at all times? Or is it someplace that you can get pretty much ONLY fabric? Or is it a store of all kinds of things, with a side area of fabric?

I have all 3 available within an hour's drive, and prices vary widely. Unfortunately, my favorite recently closed due to retirement - owner was making a profit, but was at a point in life where she wanted to spend time with grandchildren and at a slower pace with less than 60 hours a week work. I don't blame her, but miss the shop! A huge part of the draw was her lovely personality.

A nicely decorated shop that offers classes, always has at least 3 people working, and has patterns and notions also available, charges at least $12.95/yd. for Moda, Red Rooster, Kaufman, Windham, etc. Unfortunately, many- myself included - find the owner to be rather snippy. I rarely stop there any more. MAYBE 1x/year. Another that offers more fabric, including novelties as well lots and lots of fat quarters, less classes and is staffed by 2 - the owner and her mother - fabric is also about $13/yd. As I like scrappy looking quilts, I love to buy fq's, and this shop is less than 1/2 mile out of my way when I travel to DD's out of state, so I do stop there at least 3x/yr. Both of these shops are well lit and are what most people think of when referring to LQS.

The area I live in (Finger Lakes of NYS) has a large Mennonite population, so there are some stores that are a little different as far as amenities. They are housed in pole barn type buildings (metal) and are not decorated. Lighting leaves something to be desired - you will need to take fabrics over near a window! There is no AC. One of them offers the bonnets and hats associated with their customs, as well as Carhartts, boots, some housewares, a few toys and books. They don't have a lot of fabric, and probably half of it is from last year's lines. However, Moda can be purchased starting at $7/yd. Widebacks start at $10/yd. They welcome "English" customers, but aren't particularly chatty, lol.

The other Mennonite shop that I frequent is almost entirely fabric, and I greatly admire the owner. A single woman who started the business on her parents' farm, she had a new shop as well as a home for herself built a few years ago as she had outgrown her former location. She's very friendly and will chat with customers. She now has room for quite a lot of fabric, from the same companies I would find in any LQS. The worst thing about her store is the lighting, but since she has a large selection that runs about $9/yd, I'll overlook that and carry bolts over to the window.

At any of these shops - and more that are much the same - I will go home with the same quality, made by the same manufacturers. I know people who don't care to shop at the Mennonite shops bc they don't get the ambiance. Whle I enjoy the frills, I also have a budget to stay in. If I'm in the area, and have time, I will stop at any and all. If I plan to buy much fabric (having invested for my impending retirement, I have a fair stash, so usually am looking for a bit to supplement, or a specific color), I will most likely go to the Mennonite shops. They are closer to my home and offer the lowest prices. If I have a destination that will take me past (or nearly) another shop, I'm likely to stop in, esp. if there is a specific line I am looking for.

Last edited by peaceandjoy; 05-02-2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:56 PM

I live in Ontario, Canada. I have a very healthy budget for fabric, as I don't have any other hobbies. I flat out refuse to pay the prices in Canada most of the time, unless I am desperate. I travel to the states to to three times a year and I will spend a couple of days there, enough to get me six to $800 Worth of duty free goods. I will spend that money on Fabric. I can easily get double to triple the amount of fabric in the states and I can here in Canada with that price. I also shop online, and again even with the exchange and the cost of shipping it is still cheaper than buying fabric at my local quilting store I have seen batiks go for $25 a meter. And I will not pay that It is very unfortunate that the costs have increased so dramatically. I make really good money, but that doesn't mean I'm going to be frivolous about it either.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:51 PM

I work in a small LQS. Prices range generally from 10.99 to 11.99, more for batiks and double wide backings. There are a few fabrics that are 6.99 to 9.99, usually solids. And we have a large sale section, with fabric on the bolt at $8, off the bolt at $6.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:12 PM

When I go to my LQS, I have a list of colors families I am seeking. If I find a clearance fabric, the right color, I buy what I can use. Every time I go in, I also will buy one full price item. I am on a fixed income, but I do care if our LQS stays open, so I do what I can. I do not ask them for advice since I don't feel my small purchases entitle me to take up their time, but I do listen if they are helping someone else, just in case I might learn something. If I have a question or need help, I come here.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:48 AM
Banned

Has anyone else noticed how much the prices jumped when they became "quilt shops" instead of "fabric shops"?
Old 05-03-2017, 04:38 AM

It really depends on where you live. I agree, for the most part in my part of VA too, 10-14 a yard. We do have on store that isn't a quilt fabric store, it sells everything but is locally owned that actually lowered their prices and increased their stock when Hancock's went out of business. Unlike the other chain store who raised their prices even while Hancock was doing the clearance sale. Maybe so people wouldn't notice increase so much doing it before Hancock closed its doors for good. Plus, I also do garment making and this store sells mostly 60in wide, which is great when placing patterns.

I would just start comparing prices and also most LQS have sign up list where you can get emails and see when and what the sells are. I've had two here that also did buying incentives, one if you saved so much in receipts you'd get a $20 gift card, the other one the register kept track and after so much you got a 25 gift card. Check to see if they have that or anything that could save you. Good luck on your venture and hopefully you'll find some great prices
Old 05-03-2017, 05:05 AM

Same in Central Texas 10.99 to 14.99. Depending on brand and width.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:05 AM

Locally it is 12-15, but online you can find better prices
Old 05-03-2017, 06:07 AM

Our quilt stores are about $10-15 per yard depending on brand and designer. Batiks always more.