Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My Next Project...Oh My! >
  • My Next Project...Oh My!

• My Next Project...Oh My!

Old 05-06-2017, 04:36 AM
    Power Poster

I went through a few boxes yesterday and it's almost like Christmas all over again. Just a footnote also. I have always prewashed my fabric and I have to say I am so glad I did. The fabric smelled as clean as if I had pulled it right from the dryer. Unscented detergent and white vinegar are the way to go.
    Old 05-06-2017, 04:49 AM

I'm trying hard to get my storage a bit more orgainzed so like items are together, and all the cut scraps are in the same spot.

Yesterday I was looking over some stuff in the section that was suppose to be cut up scraps, and realized I had two totes of backing fabric. A few weeks ago I was putting together backing with quilt tops and thinking I sure had a lot less backing than I thought . . . and I knew I'd bought backing for my sister's king size quilt. So I assuemed it must be the beige that I had 7 yards of . . . so I used that.

In one of the totes that I just found is the prefect matching blue for my sister's quilt. So now I've moved so those totes of backing are in the room with the rest of the yardage.

I also prewash all yardage as soon as it comes in the house. So I know all the yardage upstairs is prewashed and I don't have to wonder about it.
    Old 05-06-2017, 05:18 AM

Gotta love those plastic boxes. I was doing a bit of organizing yesterday and found a box filled with squares and another with triangles! I feel like a kid with a new toy!
    Old 05-06-2017, 05:28 AM
    mim

aren't those plastic boxes amazing. I opened one last week when we got to our summer place -- I found rows of 9 and 12 inch blocks from 1998, 99 and 2000 that I had swapped with quilters around the world, All the rows and and blocks had labels with names, country and email addys. I tried to send some emails but they all came back. I must be one of the few to keep the same email since 1996.

So now I have enough blocks to make 2 quilts -- one is red, white and blue. The 12 inch blocks are flowers, butterflies and trees or leaves.

I forgot what I was looking for in the first place.

I love plastic boxes!!!!!

Mim
    Old 05-06-2017, 06:42 AM
    Power Poster

My goodness, it's contagious! Okay everybody go look in your boxes. :-)

Patricia, I have every color you can imagine. I may do a stacked coin quilt also.
    Old 05-06-2017, 08:24 AM

When I have left over blocks (orphan) I put them in pizza boxes. I have been making quilts from them lately. The local pizza parlor here gave me a bunch of boxes, because I buy a lot from them. I use the boxes for patterns, templates and stencils as well. They attack nicely on my closet shelf and I try to write on the end the contents of the boxes. Hope this idea helps someone.
    Old 05-06-2017, 05:21 PM

Well, I have a new project, too! My former boss and his wife's oldest daughter recently gave birth to a baby boy, and their middle daughter is due in mid-May with another baby boy. Since I worked for him for 30+ years, and his entire family were sort of like extended family to me, I'm working on two baby boy applique quilts. I had almost everything I could possibly need to complete the quilts, including backing and batting. The applique pieces, while fun to work with, are also a little tedious. Sometimes, I just have to get up and walk away from them! But, I think they're going to be really cute. They're going to be very close to being carbon copies of each other, but we'll see!
    Old 05-07-2017, 06:56 AM

If you rent that leprechaun out, please send me the figures.
    Old 05-07-2017, 07:00 AM

When I clean an area I end up finding enough UFO's to keep me busy for another year!
    Old 05-07-2017, 04:35 PM

Oh this is a really scary thread for me to read. I have just started quilting last weekend and now I am reading about fabric stashes. I have been weaving for years (and have multiple looms) and have hundreds of pounds of yarn in my stash. Does this mean I have to worry, I mean enjoy fabric stashes now?