Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Red, Black & White, Kona vs Bella >

Red, Black & White, Kona vs Bella

Red, Black & White, Kona vs Bella

Old 05-08-2017, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

I much prefer Kaufman Kona and find Moda Bella a bit of a disappointment. It frays a lot and it doesn't have the pizzas that Kaufman Kona has. No problems bleeding with Kaufman Kona and I used many different colors. I have not had any with the Bella either.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:40 AM

Thank you all for your reply. Now I am wondering if you all prewash in warm, hot or cold water.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:08 AM

I prefer Moda Bella solids - softer drape. I find Kona too coarse and heavy especially when used with other quilt shop quality fabrics. No problems with running.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Nanachar View Post
Thank you all for your reply. Now I am wondering if you all prewash in warm, hot or cold water.
I generally pre-wash in water somewhere between medium and hot. (My machine has 10 temperature settings, I use #7) I'm not sure if the temperature really matters, but I figure that's the hottest water I'm likely to wash a completed quilt in, so that's what I use for the fabric too.

Exception would be for fabric intended for baby quilts - I assume those are going to suffer accidents that require occasional hot water washes, so I do all my pre-washing of the fabric and of the completed quilt on the hottest setting, just to make sure it's going to stand up to that sort of treatment. If I decide to use already pre-washed fabric from my stash in a baby quilt, I don't re-wash it though.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:31 PM

Nanachar: My ALWAYS routine is to prewash all fabrics for the quilt ALTOGETHER with RETAYNE and hot water as written on the directions. I then machine dry until almost dry, watching so as to not to overdry. I've used only KONA many times in red, black and white together and never had problems with bleeding once I've done that prewash. Quilts look nice when finished. Good luck.