Dive Bombing Birds

Old 05-16-2017, 03:59 AM

I have had that problem but I noticed the windows I had screens on they didn't do it to them so maybe put a screen over the outside that you can see through and will let light through?
Lynda
Old 05-16-2017, 04:05 AM

we lost a woodpecker, two days ago , to a broken neck after we spring cleaned all the windows.....so sad
Old 05-16-2017, 07:56 AM

I found two, TWO! dead hummingbirds outside my glass patio door last week. A male and female. Lying within 6" of each other. I nearly cried. We only have one little male hummer coming to our feeders now.

A few years ago, a Baltimore Oriole left our kitchen window a bloody mess, from attacking it so vigorously. They are fierce! (and loud)
Oh, and the mess on the car? Maybe the cardinal is agitated by his reflection in the side mirror. We have had that happen here.
Don't let anyone try to convince you that nature is kind and gentle. It's a jungle out there!
Old 05-16-2017, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

I hung a bright quilt top in my picture window and all the tapping has stopped. Yay!
Old 05-16-2017, 09:44 AM

You can buy a silhouette of a bird(hawk?) which sticks to the window by static as it is plastic. You put it on the inside so it is not affected by weather. This keeps birds from approaching the window and hurting themselves.

Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/Birds-Choice-.../dp/B001QIVXW4

I don't remember it costing us that much though.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:11 AM

we have Evening Grosbeaks here and they are the only backyard birds we have window bombing with.
One year we strung orchard tape across, didn't help much
Old 05-16-2017, 08:34 PM

We had a pair of Cardinals trying to peck their way into our dining room for about 5 days--I moved the plants away from the windows, hung towels up so they didn't see their reflections, put a fake snake on the deck chair outside the window and hung plastic grocery bags on the chairs to they would flap about. They FINALLY left--think she wanted to nest inside! We lost a large pine this fall and think they usually nested there.

think it's the reflection thing--windows with screens were not appealing.
We've been keeping an eye on the barn swallows too--some summers they want to build their mud nests on our house--what a mess! And they are just as diligent--took my DH sitting on the porch most of a day with a hose to discourage them last time.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:52 PM

At work we had a bird (not sure what it was now) that kept jumping at a window. After about an hour of this we finally printed a picture of a cat taped it to the window. It worked like a charm.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:25 PM

Years ago when my son was about 5 years old, he was in his bedroom playing with his cars & trucks. I heard a crash & he let out a terrible scream. I ran in his room to ( He is 41 now) find that some sort of bird came crashing through his window. Scared the stuffing out of us. The bird must of flew back out of the shattered window because he was nowhere to be found. You would of though it would of knocked him out at least but I guess it didn't. I have had birds fly into our windows before & since but that was the only time one actually came through it. He didn't know his birds back then but it touched him before it flew back out & I think that is what scared him the worst! lol
Old 05-17-2017, 07:42 PM
Power Poster

Now I'm glad i have screens on my windows. we have a lot of different birds he
re. from hummingbirds to wild turkeys