Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When you were Beginners - >

When you were Beginners -

When you were Beginners -

Old 05-24-2017, 04:44 AM
Power Poster

My first quilt was a Pam Bono pattern. Way to many small pieces and lots and lots of flying geese. What the heck, i did'nt have a clue so I just kept plugging along. I stuck with it because I loved it. My next quilt was log cabin,very easy.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

Absolutely love this!!
Originally Posted by sJens View Post
This is my 1st quilt. No machine, no embroidery disk, and no pattern.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:43 AM

I have loved reading all these "first quilt" stories. My aunt and cousins inspired me to quilting as they always made beautiful quilts so upon retirement in 2010 I bought a new machine and started in. My first was called Rosettes by Vivian Smith. I didn't know that I didn't know enough to make it so I jumped in. I'm happy with the top but it isn't sandwiched yet. I am waiting until I am better at the quilting part to finish it. I purchased a Sweet 16 last year and I'm getting more skilled. I may tackle the quilting on that first quilt later this year.....or next. Unfinished that first quilt hangs in my sewing room and I love it! [ATTACH=CONFIG]573552[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0723.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	573552  
Old 05-24-2017, 05:18 PM

This is gorgeous, SherB! You did a fabulous job on a very demanding quilt. You have every right to be proud of it and yourself. I'm impressed!

Leslie
Old 05-24-2017, 05:44 PM
Banned

Isn't it amazing what we can accomplish when people don't tell us we can't? Some lovely first works here.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:35 PM

SherB, that is a beautiful top! Stunningly beautiful. Well, my first quilt was a Sunbonnet Sue machine applique -- I purchased a pattern book, but the quilt (a baby quilt) measured only 28" X 36" -- I said that's not a quilt -- it's a lap pad. I had been sewing (clothing) for almost all my life -- this was 2002-- I bought the fabric, the eyelet lace in cotton-varigated pastels. I copied for my own use, increasing the size of all the blocks --and doubled the numer of blocks, too, to make a 45" X 60" crib-sized quilt. In addition to the fabric I bought, I used fabric from my grandmother's stash (she passed away in 1993), and fabric from my mother's stash (she passed away in 1998), fabric from my stash and the new stuff I bought. I cannot begin to remember how many pieces of floral prints in 1/4 yard pieces I bought. My husband ordered and assembled a Hinterberg hand-quilting frame, and although I assembled the blocks, with sashing, a border, then the eyelet lace, then another border, and machine-appliqued the Sunbonnet Sue blocks -- there were sooooooooooo many hands and feet, flowers, cats, dogs, birds, cakes and candles in those blocks. I was working full-time, and trying to maintain our new house that we built in 2000. It took me 5 months to finish the blocks, assemble and hand-quilt it. My niece was so happy with that quilt -- she absolutely dissolved in tears -- it was for her daughter. I am a self-taught quilter, and I'm glad there really are no quilt police -- I would have been banned form quilting a long time ago. The colors were all pastels (I'll attach a photo-- I was pretty proud of that one). The next quilt I made was a whole-cloth, hand embroidered quilt of my own design -- my cousin in Oklahoma quilted it for me. I was a wedding gift for my nephew, and his bride graduated from the University of Arkansas. From there I've made a few log cabin quilts, the first being gifted to a local U.S. Army veteran (the son of a very good friend of mine). My machines are all vintage machines, one being the first sewing machine I ever owned -- a Christmas gift the first year we were married (from my DH). I've also assembled some heirloom hand-embroidered blocks made by my aunt who is now 90, to make a quilt, with matching pinch-pleat drapes, valance and bed skirt. I am totally self-taught -- the log cabins I've made -- no real pattern -- just the block layout with 2-inch finished-size logs. I've learned a lot online and on this forum so I am grateful for that -- I also learned from appreciating the quilts my grandmother made. That's where I am now -- back to a couple of baby quilts for boys that I'm nearing the finish line! Okay, here's the photo of my first! [ATTACH=CONFIG]573590[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0095-R.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	573590  
Old 05-25-2017, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

That is one of the sweetest Sunbonnet Sue type of quilts I have ever seen.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:02 PM

bearisgray, thank you so much! I knew how to sew, but I had never, ever made a quilt! I just jumped in -- and this is what I got! I still have the book I bought for this -- I'll always keep it!

I'm still a beginner -- you NEVER learn everything. Right now, I'm up to my ears in quilts to quilt, so I need to be working on them, but I've been under the weather a little the last few days, but this will pass!

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 05-25-2017 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Additional content
Old 05-25-2017, 07:38 PM

Jeanette, that is a precious quilt! No wonder your niece was so thrilled with it. I'm always impressed with anyone who hand quilts. I love it.

Leslie
Old 05-26-2017, 05:23 AM

My first quilt (after I tried a couple of blocks and got really, really confident when I shouldn't have been!) was a crib/wall quilt kit from Hearthside Quilts. It was 60 degree diamonds put together as calico stars with muslin in between. Yep, and most of it is set-in pieces. That quilt is from about 1988 and is still not finished, though now I have the skills that I need..... Maybe one day!