Mismatched shoes

Old 05-26-2017, 07:48 PM

I was a stay-at-home mom for many years, so I often made and still make much more serious fashion faux pas than that. Hope the UPS guy doesn't notice! My husband wore mismatched shoes to work one time and didn't notice for much of the day. These days our first grade grandson's school sometimes has a mismatched socks day for the whole school. It seems to be a special occasion.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:51 PM

I was president of a professional organization celebrating the 25th anniversary of founding. The clear podium did not hide my miss-matched brown/ black heels of different heights. I felt confident enough to mention this as an ice breaker. I was raising three preschoolers and had been more worried about the arrival of the babysitter who was running late!
We had a good laugh and I had a sore back by the end of the evening of festivities. :-)
Old 05-26-2017, 10:41 PM

My youngest DD got married a week before Christmas back in 1995. I needed a new pair of shoes for the wedding but didn't have time to do much shopping. I hurried into a shoe store, found a pair of shoes that would work and tried on the left shoe since my left foot is slightly bigger than my right foot. Paid for the shoes and took them home. The morning of the wedding, I put the shoes on and discovered both shoes were for the left foot! On the way to the wedding, I stopped by the shoe store and ran in to get the right shoe and return the second left. The cashier had a long line so I handed her the wrong shoe and said thanks as I rushed out the door. I knew I couldn't stand all day in two left shoes. Since then I always try on both shoes before purchasing them.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:59 AM

Oh my yes. I worked at a tech college and I was giving a speech to moms in the central city down the road. I was thinking, "how will they accept me as they might not think I can relate to their lives. As I was sliding out of hubby's truck (had to borrow because my car was in the shop), I noticed, after being at work all morning, that I had a blue shoe and a black shoe on. Not only that, but they were different heights! Okay, not drastically different, but still. And I had walked to a meeting quite a distance from my office. How did I not notice that? I thought to myself, 'should I stand behind a table or something so the moms wouldn't notice?' Then I thought, no, I'll work it in, pointing out that I was rushing to get my kids ready for school, and like all moms I placed their needs first and thus, didn't check out my own needs. It was one of the best speeches I ever gave as all could relate and we had an instant bond.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:34 AM

One of our favorite family stories is the time my mom wore 2 different colored shoes to the orthodontist. When we were getting ready to go, she came out wearing a pink skirt, one white shoe and one bright pink shoe and asked which looked better. My sisters and I all gave our opinion and she went back to her room to change... except she must have gotten distracted, and didn't change. We hurriedly got into the car and she drove the 25 miles to the orthodontist. It wasn't until she was sitting across from the orthodontist that she looked down and noticed she was wearing two very different shoes! Since we had several errands to run that day before heading home, we all did a shoe switch. Mom wore my shoes, I wore my middle sister's shoes, and my sister wore the littlest sister, Suzi's shoes. We decided that since Suzi was only 4 at the time, the she wouldn't get kicked out of the grocery store for not wearing shoes. Our feet were all a little cramped, but at least Mom didn't have 2 different colored shoes on!
Old 05-27-2017, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

Reminds me that nowadays mismatched socks are popular among the young teenage crowd if my granddaughter and her friends are any indication. She will be 14 tomorrow.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:01 AM

I once went out for breakfast wearing one shoe and one house slipper. Another time a group of us went out to eat after bowling. I had one shoe on and one bowling shoe on!
Old 05-27-2017, 05:05 AM
Banned

I've never owned enough shoes to make that possible.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:30 AM

Absolutely! Right before doing a presentation to approx. 100 folks. Fortunately, I was at a podium that covered the black and brown shoes- AGH...
Old 05-27-2017, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Linda1 View Post
My Mom and Dad went to Tunica, Ms. and she had on 2 left shoes. She wore them all weekend.
Ha ha... I know what's in Tunica... She must have been winning big at the slots!