Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where to donate quilts made with adult/floral fabrics? >

Where to donate quilts made with adult/floral fabrics?

Where to donate quilts made with adult/floral fabrics?

Old 05-28-2017, 02:03 PM

Default Where to donate quilts made with adult/floral fabrics?

Hi,

I kind of went nuts when I first started quilting and bought a Lot of fabric. Mostly floral fabric, lots of it blue. The problem is that I usually only bought like 1 or 2 yard cuts, and never bought more than a piece here or there. Now I don't have much of a chance coordinating it. I want to make some quilts for charity, but after doing a Lot of searching online, it seems like most charities are for kids quilts. I don't have any kid fabric.

I checked with our local nursing home (I live in a small town, so there is only one) and they don't want any quilts. I don't live near any Veteran hospitals or homes.

I guess for now I'll probably see about donating to the nearest Salvation Army, which is about 80 miles away.

Mostly I was wondering if any of you knew of any big charities that give to adults...like project linus, but for adults?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-17-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:40 PM

Do you have a quilt guild any where near by? If so, you might check with them. Our local guild gives lots of "adult" quilts to Habitat houses, homeless shelters, etc. There are many charities that need them and I can just give them to the guild and they can give them to those in need. Guilds will also take fabric donations and their charity group will use it.
Old 05-28-2017, 02:52 PM

What about a teens charity?
Old 05-28-2017, 02:52 PM

Could you buy some solid fabric to match the print and use it? Maybe use 2 or 3 prints with a solid or two. Make a scrappy quilt. That is what quilting is all about.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:16 PM

Is there a women's shelter near you? They take quilts for kids and adults at the one near me.
And, you might check with the nursing home to see if they have a need for wheel chair quilts. I can't see how they would refuse them, considering how all those elderly ladies sit in their wheel chairs shivering. A flannel back should keep them from sliding off. There are examples on line regarding size.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:22 PM

The Friends of the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation would gladly accept your adult-size quilts:
https://friendsofpineridgereservatio.../donate-goods/
The need is great and they accept all sizes. You can specify that your quilts go to an *elder*. They also have a need for quilts for adult women that are in shelters due to abuse. They would be pleased if you would consider them. And, just a suggestion, florals are great for teen girls, too!
Old 05-28-2017, 03:36 PM

Project Linus gives quilts up to age 18. Older girls would like flowers. Ryan's Case for Smiles give out pillowcases to kids and flowered fabric would work http://caseforsmiles.org/
Old 05-28-2017, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

we give ours to a woman's shelter and to a community home for challenged adults
Old 05-28-2017, 04:02 PM

I make blocks for this charity below. She is a nurse & gives quilts to families who have loved ones who have been under the care of hospice in the hospital. When the loved one dies, she gives the family the quilt to take home as a loving memory. You could read her story & contact her (Kat) as I know she would love to have donated quilts.

http://katandcatquilts.blogspot.com/...d-in-love.html
Old 05-28-2017, 04:06 PM

Are there any dialysis clinics? Our guild donates to a nearby clinic. The ppl who go through dialysis tend to get cold while sitting there. New patients get to choose a quilt and they really appreciate it.