Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt shops in Dallas Fort Worth >

Quilt shops in Dallas Fort Worth

Quilt shops in Dallas Fort Worth

Old 05-29-2017, 09:29 PM

Default Quilt shops in Dallas Fort Worth

My husband and I are going to be in Dallas in a couple of weeks to visit our son. We have never been before, and I was wondering if there are quilt shops to recommend?
Thanks
Old 05-29-2017, 10:03 PM

Dallas is a huge area. If you get to Plano, on the north side of Dallas, go to Fabric Fanatics. They only carry batiks, and they have a humongous selection.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:06 PM

What kind of fabric do you like? There are lots in DFW and it also really depends on what part of the Metroplex you'll be in since the entire area is pretty massive.

In McKinney, The Quilt Asylum is huge.

In Dallas, Sew Lets Quilt It is an adorable little shop, and the owner (Patty) is about as sweet and funny as they come. I frequent their shop often!

In Lewisville, Quilt Country is where a friend of mine teaches classes, and she loves it there.

In Ft. Worth, Cabbage Rose comes to mind as a quality shop that has been around for quite awhile.

Not near the Metroplex, but if you're going to be passing near Abilene, Feathered Star is probably one of my favorite shops to frequent when I'm out in West Texas. The owner is a delight and you won't be sorry you stopped in!
Old 05-30-2017, 05:43 AM

I am from Phoenix and go to The Quilt Asylum every time I visit McKinney. Love that shop.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:39 AM

I second Sew Let's Quilt it in Richardson. Great service and some fabrics that are not on every corner. (Sign up for Patty's newsletter and get notice of any sales she's having while you're here.) There's a little shop in East Dallas called Urban Spools. It's specialty is "modern". They have really nice people, too. I second Fabric Fanatics, but they only have batiks and white. Again, nice people.

If you're a bargain hunter, try Wearhouse Fabrics on Harry Hines and Golden D'or down the street from them. They have name brand quilting fabrics in the $5.00 - $6.00 range. They are last year's fabrics, though. (Check online for Golden D'or coupons for an extra little bit of savings.) I buy lots of "I spy" fabrics there. (Both are warehouse/outlet type businesses.)

Here is a comprehensive list from the Dallas Quilters' guild. http://www.quiltersguildofdallas.org/local_quilt_shops

Dallas/Ft. Worth is a huge area. I think the metroplex area is about 3.5 million people now. Traffic is so bad that you probably will only get to some reasonably close to your Son's home. I've only been to the shops in Dallas, Richardson and Plano. My cousin shops at Quilt country. I've heard that the shop in downtown Mesquite is really nice. Thompson's in Town East has a good fabric selection, but they aren't nice or cheap. They are mostly in the sewing machine business. Same for Rockin Bobbins, but it has a cute name. Of course, we have lots of JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby stores. The WalMart store on Hwy. 80 in Mesquite has a great fabric department for a Walmart.

I forgot to mention a great little shop in Wylie. It's called Blue Ribbon Quilt Shop. I was really stuck on a design for an ABC I spy quilt. The lady there had a great idea and the perfect fabric to execute it.

Have fun in the area. Besides the traffic, it's a great place to visit. People are friendly and helpful.

bkay
Old 05-30-2017, 07:20 AM

I'd forgotten about the Blue Ribbon Quilt Shop. I'd heard great things about them, so I had stopped in for a couple fabrics a few years ago, but I got snarked at by the lady ringing me up when I asked if they accepted a certain credit card (amex) and haven't been back since. They seemed to have a nice selection of fabrics so if you're in the Wylie area, I hope your experience is better than mine!

Have also heard great things about Urban Spools. Thomas Sewing Center in Mesquite (is this the one in Town East you were referring to, bkay?) is primarily a sewing machine retailer and yes, agree that they aren't very nice.

Hmm there was a cute little shop in Arlington too that I can't remember the name of right now...

Happiness is Quilting in McKinney is an adorable little shop on the downtown (historic) McKinney square which is also a really neat. In this part of Texas, most of the cities (suburb areas, but they do things weird here in DFW) have a "downtown square" business area that usually has a "green" and an old city hall type building plus lots of local businesses. There are several quilt shops in McKinney and if you're into shopping, it's just barely north of Allen Premium Outlets shopping center.

Last edited by Sephie; 05-30-2017 at 07:27 AM. Reason: another shop!
Old 05-30-2017, 07:39 AM

Thank you everyone for your recommendations. We will be in Irving, so I will Google map some of these places.
Thanks especially to bkay for your great info on Dallas traffic and shops. It was greatly appreciated. I am prepping my dh for his driving Marathon. He is so good when we travel to stop at quilt stores. He told me that is why smart phones were invented, for husbands waiting at quilt shops.

Last edited by Joan in AK; 05-30-2017 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Add more
Old 05-30-2017, 07:45 AM

Yes, Thomas is the store I meant. Wow, sorry to hear about your experience at Blue Ribbon. They could not have been nicer the two times I've been there. But, I understand about getting "snarked"*. That happened to me at Quilters Connection. Although I went there several more times, I never liked that store. I only went there when I needed something today that had to come from a quilt store (my closest LQS). I spent lots of money at their going out of business sale, though. The person who "snarked" me is now employed at Rockin' Bobbins, which is probably the reason I don't care for that shop. It's pretty new and a cute shop, but the sewing machines (Bernina, I think) do appear to be their primary focus. They have a good selection of Accuquilt dies, too.

*("Snark" might not be the right term, as the employee was overly aggressive in selling a beginner quilting class, basically telling me she was smart and I was too stupid to make my first quilt without taking her class.)

bkay
Old 05-30-2017, 07:48 AM

The "Old Craft Store" in old downtown Carrollton is great!
Old 05-30-2017, 07:55 AM

The reason we have those "historic" little squares and downtown areas is that they were once their own little towns and not suburbs. Their once surrounding farm lands have just been eaten up by urban sprawl.

bkay