Induction Ranges

Old 05-30-2017, 04:48 AM

Default Induction Ranges

I am looking for a new electric range and I am wondering if any one has an induction range. What are your thoughts on it after using it (please not anecdotal, just from actual use.) Pros and cons.

Most of my cookware will be induction compatible. I do have a couple of pieces that are not and I have looked at the induction interface disks and I am wondering if they work or not.

Any insights from use would be greatly appreciated, as it is a big investment.

PB
Old 05-30-2017, 11:01 AM
Power Poster

I guess this is first hand because my son has the Electrolux induction cooktop and I have used it. I don't get the draw of it. Yes it will boil water faster but it is fussy about pots. His element blew after 3 years and was under warranty but was back ordered and took a long time to get repaired. I'm guessing this is a rare occurrence. When we moved here he was organizing my kitchen remodel and wanted me to get induction and I opted for smooth cooktop. The only thing I can't use on it is cast iron. He can use it on the induction. But that was not something I wanted to do anyway.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:09 AM

I love my cast iron cookware so I'll keep my "old fashion" range.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:20 AM

My mom has one and really likes it. I can't recall if she is able to use her blue canning cooker on it, though. Her canning days may be over.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
I love my cast iron cookware so I'll keep my "old fashion" range.
you can use cast iron on induction cooktops.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:22 AM

I've recently moved and the first thing my husband did was replace the cooktop with another induction top. We love it. I've used them for the last 5 years. I hardly ever use the "powerboil" setting because the only time I usually boil water is to boil eggs and now I use the Instant Pot electric pressure cooker for that. There was a bit of a learning curve to cooking on it but I really like mine. You will not (should not) ever burn your hand on it. I finish cooking and clean the cooktop less than 5 minutes after taking the pots off. It seems to cook more evenly. I love my cast iron on the cooktop but you do need to be careful about the weight - it would be easy to chip the glass top. My husband is ALWAYS cautioning me about sliding my cast iron around. It will also scratch - not bad - but over time, you will see use and wear. I do not miss cleaning the elements and drip pans so I would never go back to anything other than a smooth top. I guess the main things that are benefits are: 1) fast heating; 2) fast cooling; 3) extremely energy efficient; 4) even cooking; 5) doesn't heat up the kitchen; 6) if you have kids, there are lot of safety features that beep at you and you can't even heat it if you don't have the proper steel on it; 7) the temperature adjustment is much more specific and the range of temps is larger - you can go very very low temp and adjust by small increments (you can melt chocolate without a double boiler on the lowest setting and it won't scorch). Down sides: 1) more expensive; 2) more prone to breakdown than less complex heating elements (knock on wood so far I have had no problems) - if you have a homeowners warranty, you are covered- otherwise, get the warranty (and extended warranty if available); 3) you are stuck with the requirement of steel cookware (not a problem for me except for no longer being able to use my Corningware but it goes in the microwave). Hope this helps. My husband won't have anything else. Sorry this is such a long post. Hope it helps.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:21 AM

Love my Induction cooktop range! Yes, there is a learning curve and some new utensils are necessary, but it is worth it all. It is quicker to heat / cook, cooler ( We live in Florida) and much easier to keep clean. Safer, too!
Old 05-31-2017, 11:49 AM

I didn't even know what it was goodie goodie google! Following with interest
Old 06-01-2017, 03:58 AM

Have a 2 burner side one with my Wolf gas range. Like it. I picked up some very inexpensive pots at IKEA that are induction. It is fast, super adjustable, shuts off if pan is not on it, does get warm but not hot. (I have 8 grands and I am sure they will be able to use it once the get older.) I have not burned myself on it. I like having it there but I do use my gas cook top more. Might be habit? Have only had it 2 1/2 years.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:29 AM

Thank you all so much for the feedback. I always like to have as much information as possible when I make a decision and actual use can be very helpful so I appreciate all the responses.