Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where to donate quilts made with adult/floral fabrics? >

Where to donate quilts made with adult/floral fabrics?

Where to donate quilts made with adult/floral fabrics?

Old 05-30-2017, 04:57 AM

What wonderful suggestions. I have made raffle quilts for pet rescue groups. So true though that some people just don't understand quilts. I remember making a beautiful small wall quilt for a cat group and had to try to convince them that it was for a wall--not to be used as a cat pad.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:24 AM

Look for local organization that are caring for or and welcoming refugees. There are several in my community. One is church affiliated but another is not. They are just there to help the families get accustomed to the US. Polish their English, obtain jobs, learn how to get from place to place, get their children in schools and tutoring adults and children. These folks often come with very limited materials goods to make their life warm and comfortable. A quilt is often a touch of American that will give them warmth and comfort.

Also consider colleges or universities that have students who have aged out of the foster care programs in your state. These students seldom have what is needed to supply their dorm rooms, specifically bedding. One of our local quilt guilds took on the project of making quilts for each former foster student registered at Western Michigan University. The quilts were well received and there were some extra quilts for newly admitted students later in the year. The quilt made 130 and the university needed 70-80.

Just a few more ideas to what has already been posted. Happy quilting!
Old 05-31-2017, 04:08 PM

My quilt guild in Florida donates quilts to the elderly who receive meals through the "Meals on Wheels" program.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:45 AM

You may want to consider donating to victims of the terrible weather across the country -- tornadoes, flooding, etc. Contact the Red Cross or Salvation Army to find out where you can send charity quilts.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:02 AM

Ask at the local churches, they may know homeless or families in need, or domestic abuse needs, etc.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:09 PM

There is a sewing room at the hospital where volunteers come and go 5 days a week. They make lap quilts and dignity robes for cancer patients. I’ve asked about picking up fabric and doing my part at home but for safety reasons they don’t allow it. Cancer patients usually have low immunity and exposure to cigarette smoke or animals could be bad, i was told. I have a smoke free, animal free home, but it’s a rule so you should check it out first if that’s what you are thinking.