Help! What have I got?

Old 06-02-2017, 07:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
No, I have no idea. I'm not a treadle person yet. Cari-in-oly, Macybaby, Glenn and maybe Mickey2 and leonf are treadle folks. If no one chimes in soon, go to victoriansweatshop.com. Lots of treadle folks hang out there. They will help. They always help me on sewing machine projects.

bkay

Thanks for the vote of confidence bkay but my knowledge of a machine like this one wouldn't fill a thimble. I just finally threaded a long bobbin shuttle for the first time the other day and had to watch a utube video to do it.

Cari
Old 06-03-2017, 03:45 AM

Thank you all so much for your info and links. The photo of the machine on the Quiltville site could be my baby's twin--except for the greyhound decal. Mine has a decal that reminds me of 3 lilies tied with a ribbon. But the side view showing the threading is exactly like mine. Going to try her out after breakfast! BTW DH paid a whopping $40 CAD for her--that's about $30 US. Definitely had to bring her home!
Old 06-03-2017, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Thanks for the vote of confidence bkay but my knowledge of a machine like this one wouldn't fill a thimble. I just finally threaded a long bobbin shuttle for the first time the other day and had to watch a utube video to do it.

Cari
Oh, yeah. you're the Brother person. Duh.. and I totally forgot Janey. Duh....It was a senior moment day.

bk
Old 06-03-2017, 05:13 AM

The top mount attachments on my Free Westinghouse have a narrower slot than other machines attachments. Look where at your presser foot attaches. That might be a clue to who made it. White top mount attachments have a little wider slot. I'm not sure about National.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:16 AM

The link to quiltville blog is the correct threading of your machine as Janey so kindly provided. The upper tension spring is a good system turn screw in to tighten and out to release some tension. Once set you will not have to bother with it again except for special sewing requirements. This machine uses 20X1 but you can use a 15X1 needle by cheating it down enough to catch the bobbin thread. It will then sew perfectly. Very easy to treadle this machine. I use mine all the time with the 15X1 needle.

Last edited by Glenn; 06-03-2017 at 05:23 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:06 AM

It looks like the thread path is like my Eldredge Two Spool and the Delta Rotary. I tried and tried to figure how to thread them, but had to be shown how. Then I found a manual. It is a very strange thread path.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:07 AM

Whooohoooo I have achieved stitches!! Not perfect but stitches none the less! I can hardly wait for DH to check out the wiring so that I can plug her in. (I know, she could be turned back into a treadle or even a crank, and she may be at a later date, but I really want to see her fly, even if it is just once!)

Thanks Glenn, for the info about the needles. She actually has a couple extra too. Next investigation--try to find a manual and identify the feet!
Old 06-03-2017, 08:37 AM

Don't hesistate to have the wiring redone if you don't mind motor and lights the parts are usually fine, it's the insulation on the wiring that's potentially worrysome. Here treadles usually come with a machine and I have such hard time getting rid of it. If it's a smaller model treadles aren't that plentiful either, but they turn up.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Whooohoooo I have achieved stitches!! Not perfect but stitches none the less! I can hardly wait for DH to check out the wiring so that I can plug her in. (I know, she could be turned back into a treadle or even a crank, and she may be at a later date, but I really want to see her fly, even if it is just once!)

Thanks Glenn, for the info about the needles. She actually has a couple extra too. Next investigation--try to find a manual and identify the feet!
Congratulations -- Doesn't that feel good?
Try some of the files at http://ismacs.net/newhome/new-home-s...e-manuals.html
They should help. There are some differences in rufflers and tuckers over the years, but similar. Also be aware that many times things that don't necessarily go with the sewing machine are found in with things that do.

If you are still having a hard time identifying them, you can post a picture. John mentioned when he saw your pictures, that he really liked the composition and the size of them. They loaded quickly on our "slow computers."

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:46 AM

Janey, I resized the pictures to 'small' before loading. Really makes a difference if you're not on a high speed network. But I also used the DH's high end Nikon to take them so the resolution was excellent to begin with.

I really appreciate all the help you folks have given me. This is only my second vintage machine but I get the feeling she won't be my last.