Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Martelli mats, rulers and more >

Martelli mats, rulers and more

Martelli mats, rulers and more

Old 06-04-2017, 05:15 AM

I do not like my Martelli mat. It is stiff and rotary blades seem to wear out more quickly when I use their mat. Just my experience. I'm glad others like them.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:13 AM

I have a Martelli mat that I use when I travel. It fits in my largest suitcase. I got it because it can be left in a car. I don't leave it for days, but nice to know I can have a meal without dragging my mat in with me! I have not tried the Quilters Select but will be interested to hear about them as time goes on. I use Olfa at home. Probably wont' get another mat unless one wears out. I am trying my best to do that!
Old 06-04-2017, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by JanP View Post
I totally agree about the Quilters Select mat. Alex Anderson was demonstrating her new rotary cutter at Paducah, and I bought it, a mat, and the 6 x 12 ruler. Best purchase ever! I was so frustrated with my ruler slipping, but with this combination, it hasn't slipped a single time. Watch her videos where she explains how the mat is slightly sticky (but not that you'd notice) so the fabric doesn't budge. http://quiltersselect.com/products/

BTW, I thought the cutter may be too heavy, but its extra heft means you don't have to push as hard, and with its magnet closure, it's so easy to change blades.
Try this link: http://quiltersselect.com/products/W...uilting-Rulers

Last edited by thrums; 06-04-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by JanP View Post
I totally agree about the Quilters Select mat. Alex Anderson was demonstrating her new rotary cutter at Paducah, and I bought it, a mat, and the 6 x 12 ruler. Best purchase ever! I was so frustrated with my ruler slipping, but with this combination, it hasn't slipped a single time. Watch her videos where she explains how the mat is slightly sticky (but not that you'd notice) so the fabric doesn't budge. http://quiltersselect.com/products/

BTW, I thought the cutter may be too heavy, but its extra heft means you don't have to push as hard, and with its magnet closure, it's so easy to change blades.

Do you know if the non-slip function of Quilters Secret ruler will work on an Olfa mat?
Old 06-04-2017, 10:03 AM

Yes, the non-slip function of the ruler will work on an Olfa, or any mat, it has a coating that is non-slip. But you take that feature and add a mat that "grips" the fabric and you have added stability.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

The rulers will work on other mats but until you try both you won't know the difference.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:03 AM

I have three Martelli mats, first one damaged in shipping, replacement had lines that were 1/4 inch off (discovered after I cut out fabric for a quilt). The third is ok. I love the table but the rulers and templates leave a lot to be desired. I am hoping that they will be at our quilt show so they can explain to me what I am doing wrong. I would send a picture of your mat to them and complain. They should send you a replacement.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:28 AM

That's good to know. I just discovered that the local sewing machine / vacuum shop now carries this brand. I had not seen them before, and of course I recently purchased a Martelli mat, haven't used it enough to know if I like it or not.

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I think you'd be surprised at the high quality of the Quilter's Select. I bought a small mat and then went back and bought the largest one. Same with the rulers. I bought one to try and now have all of them. No other quilting product has impressed me this much before.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:46 AM

I love my martelli stuff!
Old 06-06-2017, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

The shop closest to me can't keep the Quilter's Select in stock. I was there when a new box of rulers were opened and every one was sold before they got the price sticker on them. The back of the rulers have like a thin invisible felt like finish.

Last edited by Onebyone; 06-06-2017 at 12:12 PM.