Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Qui8lting Hoop >

Qui8lting Hoop

Qui8lting Hoop

Old 06-03-2017, 03:39 PM
Power Poster

There's only one lap hoop on the graceframe.com site. It is wood and it's on sale for $97, if that helps. The other hoop further down on that page, on the right, is a floor hoop.

I don't have this specific hoop, but it's very similar to the one I have, which does sit comfortably in my lap -- not too big, not too small, not too heavy. My hoop is round, but I actually think the Grace square hoop would be easier to use than mine (which has only one screw). My hoop swivels on a wooden ball, but the Grace hoop is very similar in that you can change the tilt and angle quickly and easily by loosening, adjusting, and then tightening the knob.

I notice that the photo has the quilt hooped too tightly. You really want a "fist" size of give in the middle of the hoop so you can manipulate the quilt as well as the needle.

Grace has tweaked this design a number of times. This is their latest and appears to me to be the best so far. If you Google, there are reviews of this Grace lap hoop online. I found only one negative review, and the complaint in that review didn't make sense to me.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:46 PM

I'm also looking at the one further down on the page that is a floor hoop. It's on sale for $207. Wonder how this one would be. If I get this one, there's no trying to keep it on my lap, etc. It's on sale until the 9th, so I've got time to decide which one would work best for me.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:21 PM
Power Poster

You might want to ask about experiences with floor hoops. Some people like them, but some don't.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:50 AM

I have used a 14"round hoop for a lot of years. I sit on the couch and prop my work against a card table that has all my supplies on it. For the present project a 16" would be handy so looked for one at JoAnn's but was disappointed to see that they no longer have the hoop that I like. They have the wooden ones that I consider to not be strong enough to hold the quilt as securely as I like it. Looking online, it appears the wooden ones are what they are promoting now. Mine is more like the Dritz one they offer in only a 12", not the 14" that I like so well and bought at JAs. (Had to shake my head as they need writers who understand the crafts--one hoop says it will hold my knitting well!!) Hobby Lobby website also has the wooden ones and not the self-locking that I like. Does anyone here have comments about the wooden ones?
Old 06-04-2017, 11:50 AM

I use a round, lap hoop - probably 14". I, too, sit in my comfy chair with my supplies on the chair by my side along with my light. I have no issues with the quilt being on my lap or moving it around. For myself, I would not like a floor frame/hoop of any type as I think I would have to be in one position for too long. I tend to 'scritch' around alot whenever I'm sitting and quilting is no different! I just use a cheapie one from JAF. I think I'm on #2 after about 15 yrs of quilting. Works well for my budget.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
There's only one lap hoop on the graceframe.com site. It is wood and it's on sale for $97, if that helps. The other hoop further down on that page, on the right, is a floor hoop.

I don't have this specific hoop, but it's very similar to the one I have, which does sit comfortably in my lap -- not too big, not too small, not too heavy. My hoop is round, but I actually think the Grace square hoop would be easier to use than mine (which has only one screw). My hoop swivels on a wooden ball, but the Grace hoop is very similar in that you can change the tilt and angle quickly and easily by loosening, adjusting, and then tightening the knob.

I notice that the photo has the quilt hooped too tightly. You really want a "fist" size of give in the middle of the hoop so you can manipulate the quilt as well as the needle.

Grace has tweaked this design a number of times. This is their latest and appears to me to be the best so far. If you Google, there are reviews of this Grace lap hoop online. I found only one negative review, and the complaint in that review didn't make sense to me.
Thanks for your input. I'm seriously considering the $97 Grace frame. I like that it's not wood and seems to be really well made. I've got until June 9 when the sale goes off to order. So far, after looking at lots of other frames and websites, this seems to be the best fit for me. All the quilts I make are either lap size, full size or queen so it seems this will do very nicely for any of those sizes.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

What I like about the lap hoop is that it is easy to move and easy to store. At the moment it is sitting on the top of a bookshelf, out of the way and not taking up any floor space. I was never tempted by a floor hoop because it takes up more space. Also, I tend to be clumsy and I really did not want to be tripping over it, or having to stretch at awkward angles to move it out of the way.

Reasons I can think of to buy a floor hoop instead of a lap hoop: (1) you get too hot with a quilt in your lap and over your legs, (2) the weight of a quilt in your lap makes you uncomfortable, (3) you have back or neck problems which might possibly require you to work at a higher distance from your lap. I have worked on a PVC floor frame and found that to be really, really hard on my back. However, the lap hoop does not strain my back at all and is very comfortable to use.

So, for me anyway, a lap hoop is probably preferable to a floor hoop.

Last edited by Prism99; 06-04-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

I have had one for years. It's by Dritz with a bolt and wing nut. I also have a rectangle with plastic pieces that snap on, but I rarely use it. I did not realize the corners would bother me.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
I have had one for years. It's by Dritz with a bolt and wing nut. I also have a rectangle with plastic pieces that snap on, but I rarely use it. I did not realize the corners would bother me.
Thanks. I just looked up Dritz hoops and know they have been around for a long time. Think I'll check them out the next time I go to Mary Jo's here in Gastonia NC. Not sure I want to spend a lot of money just for bells and whistles. A lady I know is going to show me how to hand quilt on a 12 or 14" (not sure which) hoop when I see her later his month. Am sure she just has a plain round hoop--she's been hand quilting since the 1990's. Don't see her as a person who would spend lots of money on a round lap hoop.