Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions...Using the Parrs-Reel Ruler system >

Questions...Using the Parrs-Reel Ruler system

Questions...Using the Parrs-Reel Ruler system

Old 06-06-2017, 08:18 AM

Unhappy Questions...Using the Parrs-Reel Ruler system

Good Morning! Yesterday I used the quilting stars ruler and was only having very limited success. When I saw it demonstrated in Houston - well you know the story - looked so easy. However, I think once you actually try it with a bulky quilt instead of a smaller pieces of fabric - you realize that things shift and soon the perfect stars are looking quite wonky. Is there anyone that has help for me? Has anyone had similar issues? ... I have watched the videos - but they are not working with a whole quilt. I really thought this would help me with quilting my projects...but not so sure now. Thanks for any assistance...
Old 06-06-2017, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

I use the Westalee quilting rulers and when I took them to a class the instructor sprayed non slip adhesive on the back of the rulers. It works great. The rulers stay in place and the spray dried on the ruler so nothing gets on the quilt. I don't know what it was, it was in a small pump bottle. She said it was new, this was a few months ago.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:14 PM

thanks for your reply! I appreciate the suggestion. This was something I was considering - an adhesive - and now that you have confirmed this - I will try doing that!
Old 06-06-2017, 02:44 PM

I have the Westalee templates, too. And I teach the ruler classes at the shop where I work. Working with rulers is like anything else -- it just takes practice. I've used my rulers on up to twin size quilts on my small Bernina.

Quilting gloves really help a ton. I like the Machingers -- buy them small so you don't have bulk at the tip of your fingers. I like the HandiQuilter sticky back grip. But I'd sure like to find that non-slip spray adhesive!

If you can afford a Teflon sheet to cover your quilting surface, that helps, too. Someone else suggested using baking parchment, like what you use on a cookie sheet.

Keep practicing and you'll get it.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:22 PM

Thanks...I will look for the tape ...the spray was working better than nothing. I do have machingers and the teflon sheet...yes i think it is practice that i need...thanks for taking thw time to respond.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:39 AM

Re the Teflon sheet....I bought Teflon? Oven liner at Aldi's store and it is great for this. Cost maybe 5 or 6 $... It's been awhile while since. I iron on it with no probs; use for applique all the time.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
Re the Teflon sheet....I bought Teflon? Oven liner at Aldi's store and it is great for this. Cost maybe 5 or 6 $... It's been awhile while since. I iron on it with no probs; use for applique all the time.
I have several of the oven liners and use them for pressing fusibles. It's not the same as the liners used for machine surface. The Supreme Slider clings to my machine table.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I use the Westalee quilting rulers and when I took them to a class the instructor sprayed non slip adhesive on the back of the rulers. It works great. The rulers stay in place and the spray dried on the ruler so nothing gets on the quilt. I don't know what it was, it was in a small pump bottle. She said it was new, this was a few months ago.
I have done this. I used Sulky adhesive spray or you can use a different brand of basting spray. Yes, the same stuff you would use to hold your quilt sandwich together. The spray dries on the ruler and makes it non-slip. If you want to clean your ruler, you have to use alcohol or some kind of "goo-gone". Can't just wash it off with dish soap. I leave it on mine.

Again as quiltedsunshine said, "practice". Even with the spray adhesive you need to learn how to hold the ruler, how much pressure to have on it, etc. etc.

Last edited by Ellen 1; 06-07-2017 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Adding practice
Old 06-07-2017, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

The spray used on my ruler was in a small pump bottle. The rulers seem to have a fussy feel not a sticky feel. Almost like the Quilter's Select rulers. I have used double stick removable tape. That works pretty good and no sticky to deal with.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

I also have the Westalee rulers and put the sticky liner on the back. It works like a charm and I am amazed at how my quilting has improved plus how much faster I get the SID done now using the straight ruler. When I get ready I put on a pair of cheap garden gloves that I cut out the thumb and forefinger. that way I have the grip from the rest of the glove AND I have no problem pulling threads or cutting with scissors (without having to take the gloves off). Saw that tip on Craftsy in Christina Cameli's class. She uses the purple quilting gloves but I found that getting a 10-pack of garden gloves at Costco gives me the same results.