Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hand Quilting Without A Hoop >

Hand Quilting Without A Hoop

Hand Quilting Without A Hoop

Old 06-08-2017, 04:16 PM
Power Poster

Default Hand Quilting Without A Hoop

I saw a video on youtube showing how to hand quilt without using a hoop. Her example was just one yard square. This seems easy to hold onto, however, I will soon be doing one that is more than 72 inches wide.

Have you done this? Do you have any suggestions of what to watch out for? Should I pin closer than usual?
Old 06-08-2017, 05:24 PM

I big stitch hand quilt most of mine and no longer use a hoop. I use my underneath hand to scrunch the quilt and move the fabric, not rock the needle.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:03 PM

I do hand quilting almost all together---stitch in the ditch for charity quilts, etc. I always use a hoop---some times a 16" and sometimes a 14" and sometimes both depending on the area I am quilting. I recently bought a border hoop---quite a luxury for me, but I really enjoy that. I would never be comfortable without a hoop to hold things in position. I sit in a recliner chair, and recline to the first position, prop my feet to raise my knees to help hold the hoop and away I go. But the greatest thing is about quilting, Every One Can Do Their Own Thing Their Own Way---be it quilting, the pattern, the fabric---all those things....it is still quilting and still soul-satisfying.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:11 PM
Power Poster

I will not be doing it this way because I want to.

The project is machine applique and some of the blocks have buttons. I am scared that things could get hurt in a hoop. I am hoping that someone can give me some pointers that will make it an easier experience than what I am thinking.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:21 PM

I am hand quilting a large queen sized quilt right now. I have only hand quilted a few baby quilts before this, and I did them hoopless. Unsure of how well the layers would hold on a 100" wide quilt, I decided to retrain myself to use a hoop and the Aunt Becky for the under hoop finger. I didn't last long with the hoop-- I'm back to hoopless. It feels much more natural to me without the heavy hoop and bulk of the large quilt. I spread the quilt over a bed and sit in an office chair next to it quilt.

I will say that I had basted with the double herringbone recommended by Sharon Schamber. Good basting is the big difference for me with hoopless hand quilting vs. machine quilting a large quilt. I'm wishing now that I had used closer spacing on my basting stitches because the top has lots of bias cut pieces and I'm quilting in large circles. Supplementing with safety pins is holding the sandwich together.

There are several videos on YouTube about hand quilting. All I can say is to watch a few, then practice to find out how to make your best stitches.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:26 AM

I hand quilt both with an w/o a hoop. I've done king-size quilts without a hoop. I have learned over the years that on larger quilts I now tend to thread baste vs pin basting because it reduces the weight of the quilt tremendously.

With either basting method, I usually pin/stitch about a hand-width apart in both directions. Additionally, with either method of quilting (hooped or hoopless) I rock the fabric vs rocking my hand.

Determining if I'm going to use a hoop or not, for me, is predicated on the quilting design I choose. If it's something all-over and 'flowy', I tend to go hoopless. If I'm doing an echo design of the block or it's elements, I usually hoop.

I actually prefer quilting with a hoop because it's easier for me to find where I've last been working. Otherwise I have to be rather particular in how I'm setting aside my work for next time so I can easily find where to pick up again.

I don't think you'll have any issues with a hoop simply because of the applique or the buttons unless they (buttons) are very close together. Just be mindful of where those elements are when you are hooping your next section. The applique might make those pieces a bit stiffer just because of the additional stitching and/or if any stabilizer was used. Again, just be mindful of how you are hooping those sections and I think you'll be fine.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:58 AM

I hand quilted a double without hooping. I used the Sharon Schamber board method to baste. I use this on all my quilts cause I have fewer wrinkles/issues whether machine or hand quilting. I find it is easier on my hands to quilt without the hoop.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:59 AM

I usually use a q-snap lap frame, but my first quilt I quilted fans on a log cabin without a frame and did close hand basting. Right now I am quilting a scrappy hexie ¼" inside each piece and am not using a frame; it is pinned and I find it helpful to sit up to the table and have the weight of the quilt on it (cooler too).

As to the comment about losing your place, I pin a bright coloured scrap to the area when I leave off for the evening, it helps to find my place again. When I am quilting in a frame, I remove the frame each time I finish off in an effort to not stretch things too much, I don't know if it makes any difference, but it's how I was taught, so have continued to do it.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:08 AM

I handquilt all sorts of quilts on my lap without a hoop. I machine baste with water soluble thread about every 4 inches. The sandwich is stabilized as I take it out camping,to meetings etc. My little doggie sleeps under the quilt as I stitch..very relaxing!
Old 06-09-2017, 07:28 AM

I have never used a hoop and hand quilted all my quilts until I switched to machine quilting. Not as pretty but easier and faster.