Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Yes I have a retirement plan, my plan is to Quilt!!! >

Yes I have a retirement plan, my plan is to Quilt!!!

Yes I have a retirement plan, my plan is to Quilt!!!

Old 06-10-2017, 04:08 AM

Just a warning to all you guys...just because you retire does not mean you have more time...lol....I retired in May 2009 and I am busier than ever just doing whatever I feel like when I get up that morning..I get together with friends and we sew on Tuesdays and Wednesdays every week and I usually sew for about 4 hours early in the morning before my husband gets up and our day begins
Old 06-10-2017, 04:09 AM

I'm with KSellers. The manufacturers are ALWAYS taunting us with prettier fabrics. Some just scream to us "take us home". So what does one do. When you come across something in your stash that you decide you don't as well it always can make a partial backing. Pieced backings are quite common now. Enjoy your retirement; you'll be busier than ever - in a FUN way!
Old 06-10-2017, 04:12 AM

Another 19 months for me. I appreciate the posted suggestion to stockpile money for fabric rather than the fabric - I just donated some of my stash that I must have liked when I bought it but is totally not my taste any more. My plan is to buy a small RV, park on a different beach every week and sew in the evenings. Can't wait!
Old 06-10-2017, 04:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KSellers View Post
Stitch124 -- I only have one suggestion...Quit buying fabric now and start to set aside the money you would spend so that you have it when you retire. I bought a lot of fabric when I 1st started quilting, and as I have progressed I have wanted to try new things. You will find the fabric you have bought might not be what you want when you finally retire. But I would be aggressive about saving that money only for quilting. I know from experience that when you see something on sale or cute it's hard to pass it by, but you could be a lot happier in the long run. I hope you have a great time in retirement.
I second this. I have stacks of fabric and "stuff" - it has become somewhat of a burden instead of a blessing.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:20 AM

I retired in 2000 when I was 52 years old. I did go back to work full time then part time. I did start quilting just before I retired along with my other crafts. I ran a quilting business for 11 years with my husband and now I just quilt for me. I don't see where I had time to work. I am so busy doing retirement things. Just love being my own boss (and don't let husband know, his boss some times). In 2015 we moved from Missouri to Texas to be near grandkids. It was the best move we could do.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:24 AM

My friend once told me, "You're not going to have as much time as you think." Guess what? She's right!
Old 06-10-2017, 05:52 AM

I have been quilting for years. I will be 80 in September. I purchased fabric before I retired when a local quilt shop went out of business. I still love the fabric. However, the fabric is not always appropriate for the quilt I want to make. it is difficult to find new fabric in colors (other than Kona solids) that go well with them. Fabric colors change. Also, new ideas have come on the market. I prefer to make scrappy quilts. Have to love the charm packages, jelly rolls, etc. for making beautiful scrappy quilts.

When my husband and I set up our budget for retirement we put sewing supplies into the budget. That has worked well. I can purchase what I need and not have to worry about the budget. Just enjoy your retirement. It seems that we are busier in retirement than we were when we were working. Enjoy each day you are given. Thank you Lord for good health and able to do everything I enjoy.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:00 AM

I did the same thing and do not regret it for a minute. I do buy some new fabric, but it costs 5 to 10 times what I paid for a lot of mine. Now it's just finding time to use it. I think I am busier since I retired.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:11 AM

I have been retired for about 10 years now and have never experienced a day when I did not know what to do. I try to balance my life by doing some things for me and some things for others. I sing in a Sweet Adeline's chorus, have recently joined two barbershop quartets, and quilt at every opportunity. I also volunteer at our local hospital and schools, serve as a back up babysitter for my grandchildren and work as a costumer for local theater productions. For the past year and a half I have been in charge of my mother's medical and legal affairs and try to spend time with her several days a week. My husband and I like to travel and are fortunate to be able to do so. I wish you the same joy in your retirement.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:19 AM

That is exactly what I said 18 years ago.....and have been having fun ever since then.