Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Things that "horrified" you as a quiltmaker  - >

Things that "horrified" you as a quiltmaker -

Things that "horrified" you as a quiltmaker -

Old 06-11-2017, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
This did not happen to me, but another quilter had made a lovely quilt for someone in her family. She went to visit one day and saw it under the car to protect the driveway from oil.
Know of a similar situation where the gifted quilt was used to cover the riding lawnmower.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:17 PM

For those upset about a dog laying on a quilt--I had a dog for several years that Loved quilts. They were her favorite things to sleep on when she slept on the couch, and many times she burrowed under them. She didn't tear them up, but she loved them and never destroyed one. Just another perspective.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-19-2017 at 03:41 AM. Reason: remove shouting
Old 06-11-2017, 12:50 PM

I also have an animal story regarding quilts. One day my SIL and I were at the quilt shop and I was picking out some flannel. She asked who I was making the quilt for and I said Otis. Otis was our basset hound. She said in a very questioning voice, "you are buying new fabric for a quilt for Otis?" I said, yes, he loves my quilts. He had summer quilts and winter quilts. If he saw me sitting in the chair stitching binding down, he wanted up on my lap and covered with the quilt. I always said Otis loved my quilts more than anyone! He also had a bed in my studio so he could help me all the time!
Old 06-11-2017, 06:09 PM

After reading through this thread, I remember why I rarely make quilts to give to others.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Sophie2 View Post
I also have an animal story regarding quilts. One day my SIL and I were at the quilt shop and I was picking out some flannel. She asked who I was making the quilt for and I said Otis. Otis was our basset hound. She said in a very questioning voice, "you are buying new fabric for a quilt for Otis?" I said, yes, he loves my quilts. He had summer quilts and winter quilts. If he saw me sitting in the chair stitching binding down, he wanted up on my lap and covered with the quilt. I always said Otis loved my quilts more than anyone! He also had a bed in my studio so he could help me all the time!
I love this! Since we adopted our Cavalier King Charles spaniels two years ago, I haven't bound a quilt without at least one of them laying on top of it while I work. They love my quilts too.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sophie2 View Post
Beautiful!!!
Old 06-13-2017, 05:47 PM

Most of these uses don't bother me, the one in the driveway to soak up oil? I hope it was in tatters! The one that was left outside for months would really upset me, I do want mine to be used , don't hide them in a closet. I made my mom a Japanese quilt and she wouldn't use it, was too pretty. That was a compliment , it took a bit but convinced her to leave it out at least . But to find one left outside, if it was old and worn i wouldnt mind but not new,. How sad.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
I was helping clean out a friends mothers house. She had a few quilts rolled up and in bags in the closet. She was saving them for "good". What "good" did she get? Saving it for what?
If you give someone something, it belongs to them. They use it and enjoy it in a way that makes them happy.
If the only memories associated with the quilt are your memories that you made it and how much you spent....it has no importance, except to you. Just because it is important to you, does not make it life changing to someone else.
If it bothers you so much, either ask for it back or just let it go.
Sometimes the stark reality stings, and we hurt when things like this happen, but we have to get past it.
Not every quilt is historic.
For me, its not a matter of whether or not its historic. It's a matter of having respect for the fact that someone spent their time to make something special for you rather than just going to the store and picking up a gift card. I guess that's why I'm very selective about who I make quilts for. Most people are not respectful. And children are not taught respect for anything except money anymore.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
After reading through this thread, I remember why I rarely make quilts to give to others.
I fully agree
Old 06-16-2017, 05:45 AM

I made our granddaughter a baby quilt to give at a baby shower. The new dad has horses so I made the quilt with 9 horse appliqués in the colors of the baby's room. I thought it was pretty neat, even if I do say so myself. Baby's gender wasn't known, so the gifts were diapers, etc., not much to look at. I watched as my gift bag was handed to her and she pulled the tissue paper away and peered into the bag, not even taking the quilt out. I've never seen her use the quilt either. Mark my words, I won't put so much work into the next time.