Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
By the pound?? >

By the pound??

By the pound??

Old 06-15-2017, 10:20 AM

Default By the pound??

I am clearing out my best friend's stash after her death. There are lots of fabrics, patterns, etc. Her husband wants to have a sale. Have any of you sold fabric by the pound? I think I came across an estimate that 3 yds equal one pound. Does that sound right? It is almost all quilt shop quality, so My thought was $12 per pound.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:10 AM

I guess that would,work...maybe easier than measuring...if you have a good scale
Old 06-15-2017, 11:38 AM

Thought about splitting it up into lots and selling on EBay? I often buy LQS quality fabric there, always looking for a bargain. I personally like lots that are coordinated (like several greens, all neutrals, etc). You could probably make more that way, but it will take longer. If you have a garage sale, put it on Craig's list and put some pictures in the ad. I'd love to see what you have and would be willing to pay for good fabric and shipping��
Old 06-15-2017, 12:30 PM

I went to an estate sale where the deceased had more fabric than our local quilt shop. She had donated it to the local guild. The guild had a huge sale and sold everything by the pound, including rulers, kits, etc. The fabric was a steal, but the weight of the rulers made them not such a great deal. So many people showed up that they had to limit how many of us could be in the house at a time. There was a line out the door and down the street. Glad I made it early to that one.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

Let the local guilds know about the sale, and good luck.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:56 PM

I am so sorry about your losing your quilter friend. Clearing out her stash must be really hard. I wish you well.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:25 PM

Fabricland, our Canadian general sewing supply store, is having inventory in July...they weigh the fabric, rather than measure. So yes, l' m sure it would work. Can you get hold of one of those scales that hang, like in produce dept. at grocers?
Old 06-15-2017, 03:53 PM

I went to an estate sale once where fabric was sold by the quarter pound. Talk about confusing. You had to read the small print, and everybody thought it was by the full pound until they got to the scale. People were removing half of their selection or more once they got to the scale and understood the terms. I will say though that the people operating the scale and adding machine did a good job. There was no cutting -- you took the whole piece or none of it.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:34 PM
Power Poster

Weighing the fabric makes total sense to me for a stash-sale.
No need to separate or have different prices for thin cottons or thick; other fabrics such as fleece, minkee, upholstery, corduroy, etc.

So much quicker and easier at the check out!
And would make for a lot less stress on the day-of!

Should be no problem, so long as you are clear on the "rules" ... and comfortable with the price.
Perhaps a good big sign or two at the sale stating the price/rules!
Might even include it in the advertising/promotion you do.

Buyer has the responsibility to measure themselves or guesstimate. Whatever works for them!
Let's them amass a whole bunch of stuff and you don't have to go through it when they go to pay.

You're not a quilt store, so don't even consider cutting.
They like it and want it ALL, or they leave it for another person .... or find a friend themselves to split it with after they leave.

Look for other ways to simplify your pricing .... eg. all patterns are the same price.
I've been to too many sales where it becomes too frustrating as everything is a different price and those helping can't keep it straight what the price is!

Good Luck!

Last edited by QuiltE; 06-15-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:10 PM
Power Poster

You might consider having a two or three day sale - because the "better" stuff will probably go first.

Then you might consider selling the rest of the stuff at a less price on the second or third day.