Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Storage and a Sloping Ceiling >

Storage and a Sloping Ceiling

Storage and a Sloping Ceiling

Old 06-19-2017, 10:35 AM

Default Storage and a Sloping Ceiling

My sewing workspace is up in a loft of our cabin. The loft space is hard working and also acts as an office and spare bedroom for guests...not to mention the abode for Mr. Bondo, the cat. Because of the wide dormer windows up there, the ceiling along the wall is sloped, so the storage space there goes from only 2.5 ft. high, to about 7 ft. high. I keep my quilting and craft supplies along this wall in stackable, plastic bins, which works fine, but I can't hide it in any way and frankly, I think that it looks ugly, IMHO. So, I've been pondering what to do about that.

My newest idea is to make "curtains" out of canvas, drop cloths that are 4 ft. X 12 ft. (Cheap! $8.00 each.) Because the ceiling is sloped, I can't really use curtain rods, so I'm opting for putting in 1" grommets along the top line of the curtains that will allow me to hook the fabric on the wall. When I need to get to something out of the space, all I have to do is unhook an upper corner and then hook it back when I'm done. I'm thinking of lining the drop cloths with some pretty quilting fabric. Wadda ya think? Do you have anything to add?

Thanks,
~ C
Old 06-19-2017, 11:02 AM

I have rods that you put rings with clips on and I mounted the rod to the ceiling. They way they mount, they can go on the wall, ceiling or sloped ceiling (the other side of this room is sloped)

This is not the best picture, but the only one I already have uploaded to photobucket. There are three brackets (mounted where the ceiling joists are) so I can't slide the curtains all the way to one end, but I can slide them enough to get at what I need to get. Eventually I'm going to make quilted panels instead of using old curtains.

Last edited by Macybaby; 06-19-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

sounds like a great idea
Old 06-19-2017, 11:19 AM

I'm wiping the drool off my chin over all your gorgeous fabric.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:30 AM

Cathy,

Is this the same space that you were renovating a couple of years ago? (I remember that your hubby was buiding you a space out of an old outbuilding...I think.) anyway, it looks fabulous!

~ C
Old 06-19-2017, 11:32 AM

My ceiling is much more sloped than that. I would say, at a 45 degree angle. Curtain rods just won't work. I'd be fighting to keep the closed all the time.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

If you don't have a design wall, I might cover the bins with the drop clothes and put flannel on the back for sticking up blocks.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If you don't have a design wall, I might cover the bins with the drop clothes and put flannel on the back for sticking up blocks.
Ooooohhh...good idea! Another clever way to make use of a miniscule amount of space. Thanks!

~ C
Old 06-19-2017, 12:49 PM

Found this at Bed Bath and Beyond. Looks like the wall attachment is round so is shouldn't fall out. The curtains would hang from the clips.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...tegoryId=12201
Old 06-19-2017, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by SuziSew View Post
Found this at Bed Bath and Beyond. Looks like the wall attachment is round so is shouldn't fall out. The curtains would hang from the clips.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...tegoryId=12201
That would probably work Suzi. I've used that type of bracket and it goes around the rod so could be mounted at any angle with the rod thru the hole.