Views:	728
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	574967   Click image for larger version

Name:	rust 15 b.jpg
Views:	688
Size:	389.6 KB
ID:	574968  
Old 06-19-2017, 03:00 PM

So sad...I have a Shopgoodwill.com machine that arrived last week. A beautiful Singer 15 from 1906 with Tiffany decals. ...The bottom base where the bobbin case sets inside was BUSTED. It didn't happen during shipping either. It will either become a parts machine, or a lamp.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:59 AM

Those machines look like good practice/test machines for solvent, paint, french polish, etc. At least they don't have them priced at $150. There is one that I have seen numerous times over a couple years on CL in Denver that is in similar condition for $150.

JediMom - Tiffany is my favorite decal set. When I first read I was thinking that the wood base what was broken, but maybe you mean a metal piece of the machine??? Perhaps replacement part would be in order?

Please NO lamp.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post

JediMom - Tiffany is my favorite decal set. When I first read I was thinking that the wood base what was broken, but maybe you mean a metal piece of the machine??? Perhaps replacement part would be in order?

Please NO lamp.
No, it isn't the wooden base, nor a metal piece broken. It is a piece of the iron base underneath the machine that is busted off. I figure it was donated that way to Goodwill, or possibly it could have happened at the donation place. (I can't get pictures to upload onto the board for some reason. Otherwise, I'd post one to show you.) Regardless, I don't have the other piece of iron to even attempt JB Weld. I have repaired many a Singer over the past 5 years, and this one truly is irreparable. It really is too pretty to turn into a boat anchor, which is what it is. IF I decided to make it a lamp, what I would actually do is turn a wooden base into the lamp, and place the machine into the base. I would NEVER put an actual lamp kit inside of a machine like I have seen on Pinterest. The base would be a lamp, and the machine just a "pretty" placed inside the base.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:58 AM

Maybe you could replace the entire base with one fromanother.You would lose some of thepretty, but everythingfrom the pillarup would be good.

Pics have to be very small to post here. 1000 pixels as amax dimension work.

Janey, Good idea about a head for trying finish techniques.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:56 AM
Banned

I don't see either one of those machines as a lost cause. I've seen worse brought back into service.

Cari
Old 06-20-2017, 10:53 AM

I like it as it...totally roached! I would clean it up just a little and put on a shelf in my sewing room. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:27 AM

Sad to see those machines in such poor condition.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:54 AM

Yes, I could probably bring them back to life, but there are so many other easier candidates. If they were a few decades older I might go for it. Though llongo233 gave me an idea. Rat rod red eye? Fix just enough to get it running. I may have to replace some chrome though so it wouldn't snag thread. That would be run at my hand crank demos.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:03 AM

so very sad