Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine binding >

Machine binding

Machine binding

Old 06-20-2017, 05:05 PM

I'm not very good at machine binding, but have used it on some baby quilts and choose to use a decorative stitch on the front so that it doesn't look so messy.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:38 PM

I sew the binding onto the front, next, I fold it to the back side, press and secure with elmer's school glue so that the edge covers the top binding seam, next press the binding to make sure the glue sticks well. Then I turn back to the top of the quilt and stitch in the ditch. I go slow and keep checking to make sure I catching the back binding I usually use clear thread on top and thread that matches the binding in the bobbin. Here is a tutorial and it has worked well for me. Instead of glue she used clips. https://beechtreelanehandmade.com/20...nding-tutorial

I am going to try this method on the quilt I'm working on right now. You might like it. https://awomanaday.com/2013/01/17/ha...nding-edition/
Old 06-20-2017, 06:08 PM

I use this method. It has several steps to it but looks wonderful when done.
http://www.quilterstouch.com/store/p...e_Binding.html
Old 06-20-2017, 06:11 PM

Lorraine,, here is a better you-tube tutorial. She doesn't do as many steps as I do, but it's still the same thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC41HRssHsc
Old 06-20-2017, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
I'm with you ...
I don't particularly care for machine binding, for the same reason as you have already mentioned.

The Flange Binding method does look good when completed, but likewise, you do end up with a row of stitching on the back side. A good match of the thread colour to the backing fabric colour as well as potentially using a finer thread could help with the camouflage.

However .... there is no reason why you could not do a regular hand finished binding on a baby quilt, if that is your preferred method.
Yes there is, if you have arthritis in you fingers as I do and can't hold a needle to hand sew.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:27 PM

jeanharville and twhvlr, I am going to look into the videos and tutorials you mentioned. I have my own method but am always looking for a better way. I don't hand sew because of carpal tunnel.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Barb_MO View Post
Yes there is, if you have arthritis in you fingers as I do and can't hold a needle to hand sew.
Totally understand your reasons, and of course, machine binding is the way to go. Nothing wrong with that.

... the OP never referenced any physical reason for not-wanting to do hand-finished binding.
With her being not happy with the machine binding, it appeared that she may be still wanting to do the hand-finished, and perhaps, just needed the encouragement that it was OK on a baby quilt.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:13 AM

When I want to machine bind both sides I use a couple of tools that Martelli makes. You sew binding on front first, using their Foot which has a fence you set for your seam width. Then you flip the binding over to the back and pin it so it covers the stitch line you made when putting it on the front (I use wonder clips since I think they work better than pins or the Zip clips that comes with the Martelli binding tools. Then you attach the Martelli binding tool to your quilt and binding---you hold it in your hand while you stitch and it holds the binding at exactly the right place so you can stitch in the ditch from the front and catch the binding on the back. Once you've got the binding tool set, you adjust the fence on the foot to help keep your stitches in the ditch.

There is a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, it really speeds things up and also produces machine stitched bindings that look good. I use this system for all my quilts now, unless they are going to be entered in quilt competitions.

Rob
Old 06-22-2017, 02:38 AM

Gee, Rob makes it sound so easy...I'll have to checkout the Martelli tools. I've done a couple on kids quilts and I agree, it takes a little practice.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:18 AM

Check the Martelli binding system. Looks great.