Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting Braindead >

Batting Braindead

Batting Braindead

Old 06-23-2017, 07:12 AM

Cotton batting feels heavier to me than poly or a poly blend. Also, some have said the wool/cotton blend needs special washing. I have not found that to be true. I wash ALL my guilt's on a gentle cycle with a slow spin and lay them on a table in our sunporch to dry.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

Check out the tutorial from "man sewing" on battings. It is informative.
http://mansewing.com/2016/08/quilt-batting/
Old 06-23-2017, 05:33 PM

I almost always use Warm and Natural for my quilts. I do my own machine quilting and I like it, but I recently asked my 16 yr. old grandson if he wanted a new quilt from me. He said, he thought my quilts were sort of stiff and he liked quilts he could snuggle in and tuck around his neck. He wasn't really critical. But I'm not sure what kind of batting to use that he would like. Someone told me thatQuilter's Dream was softer. I'm sure it would just be put in a regular washer and dryer. Do you have any suggestions? I think wool would shrink too much.
Thanks for any help.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:42 PM
Power Poster

I prefer Warm and Natural cotton batting for my quilts, but use fusible fleece for place mats, table runners, wall hangings, etc. I have a brain cramp, so I cannot remember the English lady who does tutorials, I think it's Sew, Sew Easy; but she had a tutorial explaining the differences with the various battings. I believe she made a sample of each type of batting and wrote done what it was used for, how to treat it, etc. Hope this yelps.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:49 PM
Power Poster

Verna, Hobbs wool batting would not shrink more than cotton batting and would provide the softness your grandson is looking for. It is more expensive, but in my opinion one of the very best battings on the market. I'm not sure how it would react to a hot dryer; some people prefer to lay out wool batting quilts to dry.

Quilter's Dream cotton is softer than Warm and Natural, but is also thinner (unless perhaps you go with their thickest cotton batting -- anyone know which version that is and how it compares to W&N?). Warm and Natural is needlepunched through scrim, making it very stable, but that is also why it has a stiffer drape. It does soften up with use, but that can take many trips through the washing machine and dryer over the years. Quilter's Dream cotton is needlepunched, but not through scrim. This makes it very stable, but softer than W&N because there is no scrim. However, the regular weight of Quilter's Dream would be a lot thinner than W&N which is why, if you want to use QD, you would probably need to go to its heavier weight in order to get the thickness and weight of W&N.

The above is not necessary, however. I think your grandson would be very happy with Hobbs 80/20 batting. This is 80% cotton and 20% polyester. It combines all the good traits of cotton with enough polyester so that the batting is soft and cuddly, with higher loft than W&N.

This is probably more information than you need. Bottom line is I would suggest Hobbs 80/20.

Edit: Hobbs Poly-Down is another option. It is even softer than Hobbs 80/20. However, it is all polyester and therefore does not "breathe" as well as the 80/20. Also, I find that it is harder to quilt because its loft is higher than Hobbs 80/20. Hobbs 80/20 is easier to quilt, in my experience, and still has enough loft to look and feel soft.

Last edited by Prism99; 06-23-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:16 PM

Thanks so much MadQuilter for the tut from "man sewing" . it was very informative!

Thanks to ALL of you for the many opinions and information from your experience. It is TRULY appreciated!

I ended up going with "warm & plush" 100% cotton. Oh boy, I hope I made the right call.
I am needing heavy (but cool) with a higher loft than most cottons I have seen. I figured the 100% cotton will breathe so it won't be so hot. They say this one is the heaviest cotton people have found. Here is the link to it if you want to take a look at it.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Warm-Plus...x-108/34932431
Here is the specs about it: Warmest natural quilt batting ever
No scrim
50 percent more soft, warm cotton
Added weight
Includes one 90" x 108" queen-size cotton batting

Last edited by TeresaPendino; 06-23-2017 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:43 PM

Maybe don't over quilt it. I had a Judy Neiermeyer quilt done by someone who specializes in quilting her quilts. It's breath takingly beautiful but it's like sleeping under a board. Any batting will do. Just don't over quilt it and put flannel as a backing.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

In my experience, heavy quilting with cotton thread does stiffen a quilt. Heavy quilting with polyester thread does not. Different battings have very different drapes. Warm and Natural, which is needlepunched through scrim, has one of the stiffest drapes even when sparsely quilted. Although it will soften up over time, it may never achieve the softness of other types of batting.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:56 PM

I bought a whole bolt of the warm and plush. It is significantly heavier than warm and natural. I have no problems with it at all. I sometimes prefer the lighter weight of regular W&N- but this will definitely get used. I have no experience with hi loft battings as I just don't like the look or the feel.