Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please Give me your favorite tips for Free-Motion Quilting Success >

Please Give me your favorite tips for Free-Motion Quilting Success

Please Give me your favorite tips for Free-Motion Quilting Success

Old 06-23-2017, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by marymild View Post
I remember when I took my first free motion class, they had us practice loops by writing our names. It is a motion we are all familiar with. I found that helped.
The very sad part about this is: lots of kids don't learn how to write in cursive anymore. They won't be familiar with it when they need it.

I had used a puffy batt in a table topper. (Wrong) I was told to put more quilting on it to tame it. So I started stippling. I couldn't believe how easy it was. If you looked at it closely, you could tell it wasn't done by computer or by a real professional, but overall, it was fine. After I was finished, I found I had done some parts with a larger stipple and some parts smaller. It still looks OK. The next quilt, I put on large stipples and this time they are closer to the same size over the whole quilt.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:51 AM
DJ

Drink wine!
Old 06-23-2017, 07:52 AM

I agree with most of the suggestions that you have received already. keeping the quilt level by using a table or something. What I have found I like the best are using those pot cleaning sponges that have the scratcher on one side. I love them. The sponge side is soft and then scratcher side really holds on to the fabric and feel like I get much better motions that way. I started with the gloves, but I didn't like when my hands got sweaty and I had to always take them off.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]575241[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	th.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	575241  
Old 06-23-2017, 09:43 AM

Breathe and play music that YOU like. It helps you keep an even rhythm and thus movement over all. Then breathe more. When you get tense you tend to not breath evenly and it shows up in your quilting.

Visualize where you want to stop and start (A quarter of the quilt, half of the quilt?) On Baby and throw sized quilts I work in quadrants. Between quadrants, I check for bobbin thread, get up for a glass of water or cup of tea, roll my shoulders, stretch then return to do the next quadrant and repeat. I can now FM a baby or throw in about an hour.

Check your bobbin frequently. It is more than a little frustrating to run out when you are in the middle of the quilt. Change the bobbin when you are at an edge.... less tails to tuck in!

Lastly give your self the gift of patience. It takes time to be at east with FM. It is not difficult but practicing does help. Make 12 or 18 inch practice sandwiches and keep them to look at from time to time helps remind you of the different kinds of movements that fall under the term FM.

Have fun with the class!
Old 06-23-2017, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

Most likely, your machine will not like to quilt in one direction. For mine that is straight back. In that case, just align the quilt so you don't end up quilting in that direction.

Re. Quilting Gloves: I actually use cheap garden gloves I got from Costco in a multi-pack. First I air them out to get the rubber chemical smell out. Then I cut the thumb and forefinger out of the gloves (both sides). That leaves plenty of grip for the palm and remaining fingers AND it gives me the freedom to thread needles, or pick up thread without having to take the gloves off every time. Saw that on a Craftsy class by Christina Cameli. (she does this with the grabaroo gloves).
Old 06-23-2017, 11:48 AM

These are really some good tips - love the one on the sponges.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:42 PM

Sit at a comfortable height, remember it isn't a race to the finish, slow and easy wins every time with better control and is way more fun!
Old 06-23-2017, 02:57 PM

Wear gloves, relax and have fun! Have them practice writing their name. It will help them gain control in their hands. I attended a class when I was doing this and at the end the instructor demonstrated this. It was a lot of fun! Most of all just have fun and let them be creative.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:03 PM

If using a domestic machine use a Stretch needle, makes an amazing difference in preventing skipped stitches. (learned that from a sewing machine tech)
Old 06-23-2017, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
Lower the speed on your machine and then press the foot pedal all the way. That will give you a consistent speed without going too fast.
I'm going to try this. It sounds like a good idea.