Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Iron Stupdity >

Iron Stupdity

Iron Stupdity

Old 06-24-2017, 03:38 PM

My friend, did burn her carpet. She put a standing lamp there. Could also use a little circle table or foot stool, one more a little storage stool or box. We all do something. Hope your day is better tomorrow.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:28 PM

Just think of it at a new decorating trend...
Old 06-24-2017, 08:29 PM

I really think the occasions when products malfunction and cause a fire -- they're really relatively rare -- the other things -- like leaving the iron plugged in or the coffee-maker warmer on -- sooner or later, those are going to get too hot and cause damage or a fire. I had a cooktop that had a knob on one burner just didn't turn the burner fully off -- a result of which was a cooking fire -- I smothered it with the lid, but it had a french-fry basket in there so the lid did not fully smother the fire --the fire restarted. I put the lid back on the pan, took an old towel (worn ragged) had my son wet it, took the pan with the oil, flames temporarily subsided, held the lid and threw it out in the yard from where I was standing. We had no grass in that spot for 3 months. That was okay with me -- we didn't have to cut it, and no damage to the house! lol! Anything electrical can catch fire -- the danger is always there. I try to be extra careful -- when I was about 10 years old, our house burned to the ground, and almost killed my Dad in the process. Thank God for a wonderful neighbor who saved his life! The plug strip with a switch to turn off the power would probably be the safest. Even if you have to unplug the strip to be absolutely safe, you can plug in multiple appliances you would use in sewing and unplug them all just by pulling the plug for the strip! Fire just scares the bejabbers out of me! Be safe all!
Old 06-25-2017, 05:20 AM

Is it just me or what? I have 3 auto shut off irons but when I move the iron it starts again, isn't it supposed to?
Old 06-25-2017, 06:48 AM

I'm so sorry that happened to you with the iron. Maybe you can put an area rug to cover it up.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:29 AM

Second lesson: do not set your landline phone on end of ironing board while ironing. If the phone rings, you may just answer your iron. Not the blush I want on my cheek.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:37 AM

We all have done things like that Bear and had that sinking, sick feeling in the pit of our stomach at the damage done and how close we could have come to real disaster. No matter how careful we are....it happens!
It was very good of you to point out your mistake and its result because there are those of us who can visualize it happening and, truth be known, I would have trusted the automatic shut off myself!...and HAVE.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

In retrospect, the iron was cold when I had set it down on the floor - but apparently I had not clicked it to the "off" setting the last time I used it - so when I set it down flat on the carpet - it heated up. So -

I will start to unplug the iron when I leave the area. Even though it is a bother to do so.
I have to crawl under the ironing board to do so.

Last edited by bearisgray; 06-25-2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
In retrospect, the iron was cold when I had set it down on the floor - but apparently I had not clicked it to the "off" setting the last time I used it - so when I set it down flat on the carpet - it heated up. So -

I will start to unplug the iron when I leave the area. Even though it is a bother to do so.
I have to crawl under the ironing board to do so.
Why don't you ask an electrician to move your electrical outlet so you don't have to crawl?
Mine was behind a closet and had to use an extension cord. Now I have it next to my
ironing board. Save your back.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:49 PM

I did the same as sval - the worst part was cleaning the melted ick off the iron.