Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Turning curtains into a quilt? >

Turning curtains into a quilt?

Turning curtains into a quilt?

Old 06-25-2017, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by just janet View Post
Can you make a valance type window treatment to match your bed quilt?
I will have enough fabric from the other panel to make a full set of curtains; each panel is approximately 8 yards of each of the 3 fabrics. Crazy amount of fabric!
Old 06-25-2017, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
I have been gifted a pair of very expensive custom curtains. They are practically brand new but they are also 14 foot long if they are an inch! The backing is 100% cotton sateen and the inner lining is 100% heavy cotton flannel. The curtain fabric is a beige polyester moire satin. One panel is wide enough to cover my queen size bed with a 15 inch + drop on each side of the bed. Of course given the length I will have plenty of fabric for the pillow tuck at the top. My questions are: would a long arm quilter be able to quilt it into a whole cloth type quilt for me, and would you replace the flannel with quilt batting?

I will still have the other panel to harvest fabric from to make a bed skirt. I am going to save the sateen from it for quilt backings. As for the flannel inner lining, I am thinking of turning it into receiving blankets for the local women's shelter.
I like your thinking...repurpose is the phrase these days... not wasting is my phrase and creativity...love it.
A LAer could do it if it's not too wide for her table...the widest table, I believe, is 14 feet. You would have to ask specifically about the width...length is no problem.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:55 AM

I'm betting your recycled project will be more beautiful than anything you could have purchased. Recycling is environmentally beneficial, more creative than buying new, and usually better quality! You go girl.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:04 AM

That sounds really nice! Is it heavy drapery fabric or washable chintz? With my three dogs, I can't do anything that isn't washable. I never know what is going to end up on the bed! I know what you mean about a ton of fabric. My last house had 12 ft ceilings and a huge window in the front room. I made the drapes for that room and I measured and calculated about 3 times. I couldn't believe how much fabric it was going to take. And I didn't even hang mine from the ceiling. Just from the top of the window! That's why I headed to the discount interior fabric store. Heavy chintz for $5.99/yard

Post pics when you get it done!
Old 06-26-2017, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
That sounds really nice! Is it heavy drapery fabric or washable chintz? With my three dogs, I can't do anything that isn't washable. I never know what is going to end up on the bed! I know what you mean about a ton of fabric. My last house had 12 ft ceilings and a huge window in the front room. I made the drapes for that room and I measured and calculated about 3 times. I couldn't believe how much fabric it was going to take. And I didn't even hang mine from the ceiling. Just from the top of the window! That's why I headed to the discount interior fabric store. Heavy chintz for $5.99/yard

Post pics when you get it done!
I am going to say it is washable, or it will be once I am finished. I am going to take everything apart, serge the edges to stabilize the fabric then take the whole kit-n-kaboodle to the laundromat to wash it and dry it. If it survives that, it will survive anything.

Before I start tearing things apart I will spread it out on the bed for the before picture and post it. I am thinking I would like it quilted with a dark brown or navy blue thread. I am going to call a long arm quilter in the next town over to see if he can do it and get started. I can't let them sit around the house taking up space - they fill a 55 gallon drum size trash bag!
Old 06-26-2017, 09:10 AM

A lot of interior fabrics are washable. I've washed several to make the fabric into jackets. One thing that sometimes happens is that it will shrink up a bit and have more texture. When I was making a jacket from it, I really liked the added texture. If it's a chintz, it may lose some of the shiny surface but will be just fine. I can hardly wait to see the pics!
Old 06-26-2017, 10:08 AM

It is a moire satin, it is kind of shiny but not like regular non-textured satin. I have enough of the fabric that I am willing to take the chance of washing it first. With the dogs and DH it has to be washable!
Old 06-26-2017, 11:08 AM

You might want to re-think using the sateen on the back -- in my experience it is slippery and causes the covers to slip. (I used it on a bed quilt and with out tossing and turning it wound up on one side or the other.)
Old 06-26-2017, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
It is a moire satin, it is kind of shiny but not like regular non-textured satin. I have enough of the fabric that I am willing to take the chance of washing it first. With the dogs and DH it has to be washable!
That's one of the reasons I make my duvet covers. The ones in the store so often aren't washable and 3 dogs and a husband, it has to be washable!

As long as you have lots of fabric, go ahead and wash some of it. Some interior fabrics give interesting results after being washed.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by jokir44 View Post
No, no. You are supposed to make a fancy gown with curtains aka Gone With The Wind.
Yes that.....she saw it in the window and she couldn't resist! )