Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question For Long Armers >

Question For Long Armers

Question For Long Armers

Old 06-26-2017, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

Default Question For Long Armers

Before I ask the question, I must tell you that I do not have a long arm machine. I don't have the space, $$, or expertise to quilt in this manner.

I was just wondering, how many hours does it take, (on average) to quilt a queen sized quilt with an all over, moderately easy pattern? This includes loading it onto the machine.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:31 PM

When I think queen size, I think about 90 x 102. An easy pantograph pattern. Including loading would take me about 6 hours.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:27 PM

It would take me about double that. I'd say two days, at least eight hours a day. It usually takes me a couple of hours to load it, due to measuring the top on all four sides, measuring the batting, measuring the backing on all four sides, deciding which side is the best to attach at the top, etc. I use a longarm centering tape to keep everything straight and square with each advance.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:46 PM

Depending on ease of pattern, and barring any surprises like wavy borders,etc .....as little as 4 hours.... Why are you asking?
Old 06-26-2017, 06:42 PM

If the quilt is squared up and there are no issues with the quilt or machine I would say 8 to 10 hours. I do not work continually for hours on a quilt because of back problems so quilt an hour or so and rest or at least get away from it.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:14 PM

Assuming that things are very good - no wavy borders or "volcanoes" in the blocks and the backing is square - I would say about 6-8 hours. However, things seldom are "perfect", so there will usually be something somewhere that slows down the process, so perhaps another 2-3 hours for the "problems"... which means an average of 8-11 hours for me.

With that said, I do have a "real" job, and therefore do not stay at the machine for 8-11 hours straight. I may manage 2 hours in the evening when I get home from work, and sometimes (if hubby is a good boy and doesn't bother me) I can get 5 hours on a Saturday. So, overall, it may take me a week or more to finish a queen, with FMQ or pantographs.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

I too only quilt part time. I agree with the others who have responded, assuming no issues with top or backing and factoring in loading time (I still pin) I can do a queen with a fairly simple panto design in about a weekend which would equate to 8 to 10 hours. I also can't stand at the longarm for much longer then a few hours before I need a break. I can usually go back to it for a few hours more but it seems I can't get much more than 5 hours max in a single day of quilting. This is for hand guided. I am thinking someone with a computer guided setup may be able to do it quicker because the computer doesn't need to take a break, but can't say for sure as I have never watched a CG longarm quilt out an entire top.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

Thanks. The reason I asked the question was mainly curiosity. I have always quilted by hand unless it is placemats, or little wall hangings, and I have many tops waiting. However in our little church group one lady's husband keeps pushing for us to get a long arm and he thinks we will be experts and be cranking quilts for sale to benefit the church. I take his comments with a grain of salt.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

Some people hit the ground running when it comes to longarm quilting others take longer to get comfortable. It does take a bit of practice to learn how to load the quilt and how to handle problems. Tension is fussier but once you learn how to tweak it, it just becomes part of the routine. Some people are faster than others. But as it is with everything, it takes practice to get good and proficient. If your group does many charity quilts it might not be a bad investment. Maybe a couple of members will take to longarming like a duck takes to water and in addition to quilting for the charity can maybe try to recoup the cost of the machine by quilting member quilts for a nominal fee.

I absolutely love longarm quilting and you never know, maybe there are members in your church group who will also love doing it and the idea may not be so unfeasible.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

How about seeing if "the husband" buys the machine and learns to do the long-arming?

It might be interesting to see if he is still as "enthusiastic" about the idea if he were the one to do it?