Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Interesting concept about our energy levels. >

Interesting concept about our energy levels.

Interesting concept about our energy levels.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:13 AM

A suggestion for you: buy a riding mower to save your energy and time! That seems like a good way to go so you don't drain your own energy for something you'd like to do. If that doesn't work, find a hungry kid who needs to feed his truck and his girlfriend and hire him to do the work.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:04 AM
mac

Boy, I can relate to all you that just don't feel the energy like they used to.

I waited too long to get my knee replaced and when the surgeon replaced my knee 3 months ago, he said that I didn't have any cartilage left and that the arthritis was so severe that it wore my knee smooth. I plan on getting my other one replaced in about 4 months. Although the new knee to doing fairly well, the other one is really holding me back a great deal.

Then I started thinking about how long that my knees have been hurting me and realized that it has been about ten years. Over that ten years I have done less and less and now I find that I not only have to exercise to help the new knee get better, but I also have to exercise to get my wind back up. Being sedentary has left me rather breathless and I get winded just walking a block. I also realized how small my world has become.

The moral of the story is if you need to have knee replacements, don't hesitate. I found that the amount of pain post surgery wasn't any greater than the pain I was enduring before the surgery. But, the best part was that as the weeks have gone by the pain has lessened to the point of non-existence in the knee that had surgery. I think of all of the things that I have stopped doing because of knee pain and I really regret not getting it done when the surgeon first mentioned it.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:03 AM

Ditto, Mac!! Only my pain dated back 15 years coupled with back pain related to the way I had to walk to try to ease the pain. Had my total knee replacement 2 years ago this coming August and, like you, why oh why didn't I do it sooner. My other knee is not a bother as of yet so I'm lucky there. Everything you said is true. For those of you who are considering a replacement I offer this advise. DO YOUR EXERCISES following surgery. Yes, they are painful but each day it gets a little better and you'll be so happy down the road that you did.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:26 PM
Power Poster

I'm disabled, so i go thru those spoons early in the day.
I'm upset with myself for taking too long to get dressed, shower, do my hair and all that. it's taking me at least twice as long as it all used to be. I keep asking what's wrong with me, and i guess that's my problem. I can't go buying new spoons, i have to use the ones i have.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:22 AM

Energy is often a factor of desire to do something. If I like to do something, I have a lot more energy for doing it. If I don't, there is never enough energy.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:31 AM

I feel a like that, too. It seems to me that I avoid stuff that I don't like to do as if that stuff will multiply. I
especially hate to file things away. It's retirement syndrome for me - that stuff feels too much like WORK.

Pain has been my constant companion for over 25 years and I know how to mentally ignore it for hours at a time. But at the end of the day, it suddenly hits and then fatigue overwhelms me. Curiously, when that happens it is difficult to sleep at night. The brain goes into overdrive and thinks about stupid stuff, long over, long resolved, as if it was happening right now. No sleep for the weary.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:00 PM

Something to ponder: each decade of life we have different wants ( and needs ) than the previous decade. I repeated this to our financial advisor. He looked thoughtful for a minute, then said that's exactly right. As for myself, I strive to be more of a minimalist. this gives me more time to do what I want to do instead of cleaning around too much stuff. I can discard easier now than earlier in life.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:51 PM

Ive just gotten lazy in my older yrs (77) Nothing gets me going like it used to. If I dont feel like doing something, I dont.
Even housework can wait till I feel like doing it. Ive got the energy to do what I want to do, even yard work when I want to.
I do need to take a nap in the afternoon after a busy morning.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:03 PM

I have found that, for me, mental attitude is more of an energy boost than physical well being. If I am excited about doing something, or getting something new or different, or even cooking something different, I have much more energy.
Planning a trip, or starting a new sewing project, or having a visit from a friend gets my energy up. At least for a while.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I have several disabled friends like me, and we have running joke about our"spoons". Some days we have enough spoons for what we want to get done, and some days all of our spoons seem to be made of plastic. Lately I am happy to finish one extra job a day. Tomorrow I want to put out slug bait (never buy cheap potting soil at a dollar store, this is year three of trying to get rid of them, resorting to chemicals this year.), transplant the gorgeous 3' wine colored rose DH bought for me today, transplant my three little tomato starts, and put up the fencing to keep cats and dogs away. Wish me luck. I will need it. Weather man says expect warm sun.
The best slug bait there is, is a jar lid full of beer. They crawl right in and drown.