Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Dr Who quilt fabric >

Dr Who quilt fabric

Dr Who quilt fabric

Old 06-30-2017, 07:43 PM
mem

Default Dr Who quilt fabric

My 10 year old grandson has requested a quilt based on the ONE Doctor Who tee shirt he has outgrown.

I am thinking of the tee shirt in the center with other blocks made of fussy cut Dr W fabrics and nine-patch blocks made with solids and Dr W fabrics. Any suggestions for a different design welcome.

My main question is about fabric. I've ordered some Dr W prints from Missouri Star; they aren't here yet, but I assume they will be "good" (nice-feeling) fabric. Joann's has several Dr W prints I'd like to use, but the fabric feels stiff and unfriendly although the price is higher than that of Missouri Star.

Have you used the Joann's Dr W fabric and did you find it satisfactory? Maybe it feels better after its been washed and dried?

Thanks for your help,
Margaret
Old 06-30-2017, 08:22 PM

I've used Joann's Dr. Who fabric for skirts, potholders, and bags and it was fine after washing. It doesn't feel as nice as a Moda fabric, but it's held up well on the projects I've used. I pre-washed everything before I used it. HTH! Post the quilt when you finish. I'm a Whovian all the way!
Old 06-30-2017, 08:36 PM
mem

That definitely helps! I always prewash, so will go to Joann's tomorrow and hopefully be able to find the designs I want. Thanks so much!
Old 06-30-2017, 08:55 PM
Power Poster

Joann's has a 20% off coupon on entire purchase for this weekend. I was able to quick look it up on my smart phone yesterday and saved that on top of fabric on sale for half price. Worth downloading the free app.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:56 AM

Joann's also has a 60% coupon that starts tomorrow runs through the 4th.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:00 AM

I have used the DW fabric that is the same print as what Joanne's carries but I got mine at fabric dot com. I almost never prewash and I have been using mine in an EPP project so have not laundered it yet as it is a looooong way from finished. If you want to add a little something, something extra whims and fancy, fandom in stitches and one other I can't think of right now have some amazing DW paper pieced designs.
Old 07-01-2017, 04:43 PM
mem

Thank you all for your help.

Used coupons at JA's today on purchase of 3 pieces of DrW fabric.

Those PP designs are amazing. I'm tempted to try a simple one or two, but a couple I looked at were way too intricate for my skill level . Glad to know about them, though!

Margaret
Old 07-02-2017, 05:34 AM

you don't need to download the app to get the Joann's coupons. Simply call up the site and hit coupons. You also do not need to sign up for the text messages, but, if you do you get a 20% off all purchase sent to you to use that day.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:35 AM

You should check out Sam Hunter's tardis quilt. Craftsy also has many Dr. who quilt block patterns.

Last edited by momsbusy; 07-02-2017 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Autocorrect
Old 07-03-2017, 07:08 AM

I made this quilt using Dr. Who fabric by Spring Creations for my son a couple of years ago, I purchased at local fabric store but it looks like the same as what JoAnn's has for sale. I used 2 other fabrics for accent and the Dr. Who fabric was very compatible with them although it did have more body to it. I have attached 2 pictures, I have an original post that can be found here Doctor Who. I liked the Walk About pattern as it let me showcase the Tardis print and would work well with your idea of T shirt block in center and fussy cutting other images. Happy quilting and can't wait to see your finished quilt.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00545.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	575734   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00543 2.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	575736