Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing a new quilt >

Washing a new quilt

Washing a new quilt

Old 07-04-2017, 09:45 AM
PBS

Red face Washing a new quilt

Hi All,
I'm trying something different with this quilt I'm just finishing. I usually wash my fabric before I start my quilt. This time I thought I'd do it the other way around; wash after. I'm not worried about any "bleeding"; all my fabrics are pastels. How do I go about washing it? I have one of those new washers that the amount of water used is dependent on the weight or size of the load. Do I run it through a "wash cycle"? What kind of soap? Or just let it "soak"? I know you all will help me! So I'm thanking you all in advance! God Bless!
Old 07-04-2017, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

I would just use a small amount of regular soap and run it through a "quick" or gentle wash cycle. Cold or warm water.

How big is your dryer? Not all domestic dryers can handle the bulk of a quilt. If you have to stuck it into the dryer tightly, the dryer is too small and you may end up with burn marks where the quilt stays in contact with hot air inputs too long. In that case, either take it to a laundromat to dry (or wash and dry at laundromat), or lay out flat on a flat sheet on carpeting to dry. Can also dry outside in shade; however, be aware that exposure to light fades dyes used in cotton fabric. Direct sunlight can fade these dyes a *lot*; shade contains a lot of indirect light, so safest is to dry inside on carpeting. Placing a fan nearby speeds the drying process.

Edit: I would never soak a new quilt. Having wet fabric in contact with wet fabric is the surest way to have any loose dye particles migrate and create bleeds. Soaking is an option once you know for sure that all fabrics in a quilt are colorsafe, but even then there is no need to soak if all you want to do is clean a quilt.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:09 AM
Power Poster

I run mine through the permanent press cycle with cold water and regular laundry detergent (albeit less). Then I dry it on the gentle cycle.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:11 AM

I do mine on the gentle/delicate cycle and always put a Shout Color Catcher in, just to be safe. (I use a regular detergent pod.)
Old 07-04-2017, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

First thing I would try - put it in the washer - DRY - and see if it has room to move around in your washer.

Second thing I would try - put it in the dryer - AS IS - and, as Prism99 suggested - see if there is room in your dryer for it to move around freely.

IF your washer and dryer have "move around room" - If it were mine, I would wash it on a gentle cycle - with color catchers - with a "mild" detergent, then dry it on a "until done" with "medium" heat. (My "old" dryer has three heat settings)

Because I am in the confirmed "soak in hot water and then wash before cutting" group - I forget about using the color catchers.

Even pastels can have excess dye in them.

I am also in the "it should survive a gentle washing and drying" group.

Last edited by bearisgray; 07-04-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:34 AM

I wash all my quilts with a very gentle detergent such as Woolite
using gentle/delicate cycle. Dry on low heat then finish drying
on the clothesline.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

I have always washed mine the way I think recipients will - throw in washer, usually cold, then into dryer. that's what they will do so I do it first and inspect. I am not a prewasher and do use color catchers. I got a new washer but it has an agitator and the ability to fill it up even though it is an HE. It is ginormous, top loader, and so far have had good luck with the 8 quilts I have made since getting it. don't have a clothes line so not an option for me.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:50 AM

I generally do no pre wash my fabrics before making a quilt but I do wash the quilt when it is finished. I toss in a color catcher (just in case) & I wash on the regular washing cycle only the speed wash which doesn't take as long as a normal cycle. I use warm water temperature & then toss in dryer on medium heat.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:16 AM

I wash my quilts the same as any other bedding. After the dryer, my King size quilts usually have some damp spots, so I hang them over an open door until dry, but always through the dryer first. A wet quilt is heavy, which is hard on the seams if you try to hang it up while wet.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:58 AM

I make quilts to be used and loved. So I just throw them in the machine with a color catcher. Then dry it in the dryer fluffing it every so often. It will go thru the same process when it gets to it's forever home